Chapter 24

Chapter 24: Victory?

        “We can’t use our powers right now. We need them for banishing Ammut.” Crystal says.

         “So we just let him die?” Clara replies angrily.

         “We can do it quick. Let’s do this.” Crystal says, slinging her arm under mine. Clara does the same and lift me. My blood has stained all of my clothes. Soon it will stain Clara’s and Crystal’s.

         We approach Ammut. All of the sinners have fallen. Ammut moans, but much quieter than before.

         “Ammut the Devourer!” Proclaims Crystal. “We have destroyed all of your minions.”

         Ammut raises her head.

         “You may have destroyed my army, but I still have 50. I cannot enter the Underworld any longer. I have won! Ra has lost!”

         “Fifty, huh?” Clara teases. “You have 49.” Clara points at me.

         Ammut pushes her torso upward. “No.” She says. “No.”

         “Ammut the Devourer,” Crystal begins.

         “No.” Ammut says.

         “By the power invested me, my fellow companion, and Ra,”

         “No.”

         “You are hereby banished from the mortal world.”

         “No!”

         “And to never return!”

         “No!!”

         Clara’s arm shoots forward. A lightning bolt strikes the floor where the portal was. The portal rips open and glows dark blue.

         Ammut rises into the air suddenly. Her white dress is being sucked into the portal. She begins screaming as loud as ever. She unleashes lightning into the room. Crystal and Clara stare at the portal. It slowly sucks Ammut inside. The air is being drawn into the portal creating a powerful wind. Ammut in one “pull” is pulled into the portal. The portal seals like a zipper and disappears. Clara and Crystal fall to the ground.

         Blood pools around my body. My clothes have been completely stained in my own blood. Crystal and Clara lay on their stomachs to my left and right. They are breathing, but barely. I know I won’t be breathing soon. I really have lost feeling in my body. Maybe this is what feeling “drained” must really feel like.

         “Gavin!” I hear a voice cry above me. I look to my left and see Brianna rushing toward me.

         I smile and try to say her name. The only thing I can do is mouth her name.

         “What the hell happened?” She screams. She starts crying. I shake my head.

         “Oh my God!” I hear another voice cry from the room. Footsteps start rushing my direction. Brianna grips my head.

         “How did this happen…” She says, pushing her head against mine. I squirm. She places my head against the bricks softly. Katie appears next to Brianna.

         “What happened!?” She cries.

         I can’t tell them. The only thing I know right now is that my body slipping away.

         “Someone get help!” Katie screams.

         “Gavin!” Kaley says, walking to me.

         Slowly my clique surrounds me. They stand or kneel next to me. They are all crying, trying to ask me questions. Brianna holds my wrist and cries to suppress the bleeding. But I’ve lost too much blood. I am going to die.

         “Why is Crystal here?” One of my friends asks the rest.

         “I don’t know.” Victoria Anderson whispers.

         “Is he going to die?” Angel asks Brianna. She doesn’t reply.

         Silence falls over us. Now people outside my clique surround my body. I can barely look around anymore.

“I love you.” Brianna whispers to me, breaking all silence. I can’t move anymore. She presses her lips against mine.

         My eyes close and I slip away.