Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Opps!? I Did It Again

          “Welcome. Katelyn.” I say slowly. She smiles.

         “Who do you serve?”

         “Ammut the Devourer.” She replies. Her eyes flash again.

         “Let’s get Kaley.”

         School on Saturday makes me feel more alive. I check my phone. 1:00 PM. I can’t wait any second longer. Ammut waits.

         I hear the clanging of doors. I run to my scouting point from the Library hall and peek around. It’s her.

         “Hello?” she calls. I look at Katie. She smiles evilly and we sneak down the hall. We run all the way to the front doors of the school and surprise her. She screams.

         “Holy crap you guys scared me!” she says. She hits me. I smile.

         “We got you good! Now let’s have some fun!” Katie says. She tosses off her shoes and throws them into benches by the doors. She runs into the East Hall and screams. I follow in my running shoes. Haley follows me. We run around, like we never could during school. We try to open lockers and steal stuff. We go into bathrooms and cover the mirrors with lipstick from Kaley. Of course the added fun is with all the lights off in the whole school, adding to the suspenseful feeling. But Kaley should feel scared. We are taking her soul in a few minutes.

         “Hey, lets go to the North Hall.” I suggest. They agree and we go up there. I stop by my locker. They stand to my right.

         “Do you guys ever regret or feel ashamed of something you did in your past?” I ask.

         “Yeah, definitely.” Katie replies.

         “Yeah. Lots of times.” Kaley replies. I close my locker.

         “How so?” I ask.

       “I don’t know… just asking Jeremiah out and all that. I feel bad about Lorissa and getting all mad…” she says.

        “C’mon, let it out.” Katie encourages. She is saying all of her lines right. Just like we rehearsed.

         “Well, c’mon, he’s a jock, and I’m me. There’s no chance.”

        “Well you are you, and you do have no chance. I bet you are really ashamed of that.” I say. She hits me.

         “That’s not funny.” She says.

         “But you are really ashamed.” Katie says.

         “You guys, stop.” She says. What she doesn’t realize is that we are backing her into a corner.

         “You are so ashamed of being who you are. You just hide it.” I say. Kaley’s eyes are filling with water.

         “You know why your eyes are filling with water? It’s because you know it’s true.”

          I feel my hands warming. I glance at Katie’s. They are glowing too. I feel her soul. And Ammut is so close. She wants her soul so bad. I can feel it.

         “Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame.” I chant. Kaley rubs a tear away. Her soul isn’t going to last much longer. Katie joins my chant.

         “What is going on with you guys?” she says as she starts to sob.

         We continue to chant. Haley yells for us to stop, but we keep chanting it. Almost at the exact same instant, Katie and I’s palm rise. Our hands glow a gold-ish color with gray holes in our hands. I open my mouth to speak.

         “Welcome, Kaley.” I say. Our palms thrust forward and smoke pours out of our palms. Kaley is engulfed. She can’t move. Or speak. Her eyes stare off into space. Her soul comes out quicker than Katie’s did, but this time the soul is pink and it goes to Katie. Her eyes flash. The soul dissolves in her palms. I smile. The smoke comes back to us and releases Kaley. I am so satisfied. Two souls in a day. Ammut mustn’t be famished now. Haley looks at us. She smiles.

         “Hello.” She says. Her eyes flash. I have done it. We have done it. Now we need more.