Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Catherine, could I ask a favor?" My mom says walking out on the lawn Towards me. I closed my book and looked up at her. I loved my family, but honestly, they asked me to do everything because I was the nerd who had no life. My mom (when she was my age) was mega-popular, on the gymnastics team, and dated the most popular guy at school. And why, might I ask, was I not blessed with the same life as her? She was gorgeous, long brown hair that had auburn highlights--which were of course, natural--a slender body, a flawless face, and a perfect smile. I cursed that I was blessed with being short, rectangular shaped, and acne-prone. My eyes were murky and dull, while her eyes brightened up a room and made everyone just want to be her friend. How sad is it to be jealous of your own mother. 

"Sure mom, what's up?"

She handed me two plates with gooey chocolate chip cookies--steamy and chewy.

"Could you take these to the neighbors? The ones across from us and on the left. I already brought them out to the other neighbors."

Did she say the neighbors across the street? I brought the cookies to the old couple on our left and nervously made my way up to the front door. "Calm down this is not a big deal. Just because he looks like a model doesn't mean anything. Calm your hormones Cat." I reprimanded myself and confidently started up the walkway. As I jumped over the stair, my foot hit the step and I can tumbling down onto the pavement. Luckily, I stretched my arms out mid-fall and caught the cookies. My face burned and I wanted to die the minute I heard the door swing open. A pair of nikes were in front of me and I looked up to see Jake himself. "Hey there Ms. Quarterback that was quite a catch." He said with a grin. I groaned and accepted his hand as he pulled me up. As I looked up at his face, my breath caught as I stared into his startling electric blue eyes. "Hey," he said with a frown, "you're bleeding." I wiped my hand across my face, and discovered blood streaked on it. Before I could say anything he took my hand and led me to his house. "Let's get you cleaned up now, shall we?"

************

Jakes house was pretty much the same as ours. Not big, not small, homey and cozy. I felt relaxed when I walked through the door, I could smell pumpkin pies baking in the oven and the hum of the dishwasher rinsing the dishes. "What's your name, rookie?" Jake said as he turned around to face me.

"Catherine, how about you?" I asked, even though I already knew. "

"The one and only Jake Ryan of course, rookie!" He said with a wide grin. I knit my eyebrows together.

"Rookie?" I questioned, arms folding across my chest.

"That catch out there was pretty good, for a rookie." He said with a laugh. I chuckled, and shook my head.

"The name is Catherine, okay? Or Cat"

"Kitty Cat it is, buttercup. Now let's clean up that pretty face of yours before it scars." He said gently, leading me into the kitchen, my face flushed.

*************

We walked silently into the kitchen, and he bent down and rummaged in a cupboard while I got to get a good look at his behind. I was pretty sure there was a spot of drool on the floor and prayed to god he wouldn't notice me perving on him. He faced me, an adorable smirk spread on his face.

"Like what you see?" He said amused, and before I could protest he plucked me off the ground and put me on the countertop.

"I didn't give you permission to manhandle me." I stubbornly told him, trying to look tough. This guy was a total TOOL. He laughed and shook his head, dabbing a cotton ball on my face. The cut burned and I flinched back, not expecting it. His eyes looked troubled and he bit his lip worriedly. "I'm sorry Kitty Cat, I don't want to hurt you." His ice blue eyes intent on my hazel ones. The heat grew in body, his face was so close to mine. Before I knew what was happening, he leaned close and put his soft lips onto my cheek, so very very close to my mouth. 

My heart thumped wildly, and tingles spread from my lips down through my toes. A split second later, he pulled back. 

"I bet you're about to hyperventilate." He smirked. 

"Yeah, because you're so disgusting that I'm panicking." I retorted. 

Jake smirked, and stretched his arm back. Conviently, his muscled rippled and became taut and prominent. My eyes couldn't help but become glued him as he moved. He leaned in close, and my breath hitched.

"I think you're drooling," he whispered huskily in my ear.

All thoughts of how amazing Jake was vanished into the air. God, could he get any more conceited? Since he was busy laughing at his hilarious joke, I quickly ran a hand underneath my chin and felt no wetness of any sort. What a liar. I grumbled and jumped off the counter, stalking towards the door. The laughter subsided, and I heard him trying to catch up to me. 

"Hey!" He called, grabbing my arm. "Aren't you going to say thank you, for that amazing job I did cleaning you up." 

I rolled my eyes and turned to face him. 

"Thank you so very much for slapping on some hydrogen peroxide and doing absolutely nothing." I replied sweetly. I don't know why, but this guy really got onto my nerves. Probably because he seeed like a player--and I absolutley dested those guys. Maddy, my best friend, had gotten played by one of those guys and she had never been the same. Just the thought of that guy, Hank, just brought my blood to a boil. 

Jake winked, and I huffed at him. 

"So Rookie, I think you owe me for what I did for you back there. How about you and I go out some time?"

I snorted, which seemed extremely unladylike, but who cared.

"4 words for you big guy," I said in my most flirtiest voice, "I don't think so." 

And with that, I swung open his door and strutted out. 

*********Comment, vote, message me! Next update will hopefully be October 20th!