Chapter Four

The sound of our boots echoing as we walked through the hallway, sounding like marching soldiers led by Zack and myself chilled every bone in my body. I will get them safe. I will make sure they are safe and today will be the day that I make sure that they are.

I looked over at Zack not missing the way his jaw was clenched as he looked forward as we walked to the armoury, a place where all our dreams go wild in terms of weaponry. He glanced over at me, his eyes telling me everything I needed to know. He was tense. Worried. I was too.

We all strapped on our armour in silence. No one said anything, the only sounds were the sounds of velcro being sealed and us checking our guns, clicking them back in place before putting extra ammo in the pockets of our vests.

Sighing I tucked two knives in the holders at either side of my hips before tucking my dog tags in my clothes. I then slipped my hands in my black gloves in which the fingers were left open. I flexed my fingers before taking up one of the sub-machine guns equipped with agog scope.

I spun around and grabbed Hank's hand before it landed on my shoulder and met his eyes feeling immediately disgusted. How dare he touch me?

"Relax Flame," he stated as a smirk came across his face as I gently flung his hand away from me. I said gently because if I used my real strength I would have sent him flying through several of the gray brick walls of the building. I gritted my teeth as I looked at him feeling to punch him, I cannot express how much I hate this man. "I'm just here to wish you good luck," he stated as he smiled stupidly.

"Awww," I stated the sarcasm dripping from my voice, "You shouldn't have." I punched him gently in his shoulder causing him to flinch because I did it hard enough to make it hurt him.

He glanced over at Zack, "You know the objective," he stated his voice sounding deep with authority, "I will see you next week."

He raised his hand to try to touch me again but I shot him a death glare before the door to the rooftop opened and gave us a look at the black helicopter already on and waiting for us. "Captain Flame," I heard one of the soldiers address me as I moved forward. Ignoring him, I led my team to the heli not looking back once, it's time to put my plan into action.

***

During the ride to the drop off zone I kept meeting Zack's eyes hoping that this isn't the last time that I was seeing him. I can't imagine a time without him. I sighed and leaned back with my hand on my gun as it pointed downwards between my legs at the floor. I could feel Avery's eyes on me clearly noting the tense position I was in. If anyone was to die, it would be me.

"You okay Flame?" Bit asked me his eyes searching my face. I knew that if I told him that I was worried that they all would be worried. I forced a smile and nodded before looking out through the door over Bella's head.

"Captain Flame," the pilot said looking back for a split second, "We are five metres from the drop off zone."

"Understood," I took off the safety off the gun and nodded at Bit to take point. Standing up balancing perfectly as I held the gun with one hand and held on to the net above I walked behind Bit as we approached the zone hovering there as we met it.

I nodded at the pilot as Bit strapped on to the black rope. I patted his back silently telling him that I got his back. Quickly he descended the rope and stooped down on one knee taking point, sweeping the area around him before raising his hand in a fist.

"Show time guys," I said in the mike before I went down the rope following the actions of Bit raising my fist as my team joined me. Once they were with me I stood and waved up at the helicopter and looked on as it left. 

"Uriah," I looked back at the map-boy as we call him, he's always in charge of remembering the landscape of the mission area due to him having photographic memory, it's so good. "There's a cliff ten miles from here..."

"From my guess, if we walk continuously we can get there by six this evening," Jake stated causing me to look down at my waterproof watch.

"That's in two hours," I looked at everyone before turning on the safety on my gun and pushing it to my side and taking off the clip on the pistol on my right thigh, "Stay alert, this is unknown terrain," I commanded before bringing my gun in front of me and walking off with Zack at my side, with every step I took I could feel my heart getting heavier as the General's voice repeated itself in my head. 

The sun was scorching, a factor which contributed to the huge hills of loose sand which we were trained to conquer. I could feel the dusty atmosphere attacking my throat causing me to sip my water often and drag my jacket out of my back securing it around my head making sure to cover my nose and mouth and slipping on my shades. 

Several times I kept glancing back at my team as the words of the general replayed over and over in my mind, "Not all of you will survive..." My team will, if someone is to die, it will be me.