Chapter 3 - Too Close For Comfort

Chapter 3 – Too Close For Comfort

Phoebe just sat there frozen, she wanted to scream but one wouldn’t escape. She had just watched her only family die, murdered right before her eyes. She didn’t know how she should feel, anger towards the demon, sad because her mum just died, annoyed with her mum for not telling her everything. The demon got up, blood dripping from its teeth, no not teeth, spines. It faced Phoebe, looking her in the eyes, though its eyes were cloudy, it’s blind. She let out the smallest of screams as the demon started to advance on her. Phoebe’s instincts kicked in and she was up and running before she could register that the demon was about to kill her too.

The demon was gaining speed. Phoebe dashed to get outside but the demon was blocking the only way out. She spotted the bathroom and dashed for that, hoping to find something in there. She ducked in and locked the door. Her instincts told her to escape, she looked around. A window? Too small and we are on story up. Weapon? Nothing. Phone? Phoebe fumbled around in her pocket, bingo. She dialed a number and waited for an answer.

“Hello, Cosgrove residents, this is Tyler speaking.” Of course, the only number she knew of by heart other than her own was Amaris’s home phone.

“Tyler! It’s Phoebe! I need your help!” she said trying hard to hold back a sob.

“Phoebe? Slow down, tell me what’s happening.” His voice so calm.

 “You’ll probably think I have gone mental but we have been attack by a demon and mums dead!” she says probably too fast for him to hear.

“Stay calm. Ah… where about are you?”

“I’ve locked myself in the bathroom.” She could feel the tears welling up.

“Can you get out?” There was just a hint of stress in his voice.

“Not from in here and the demon is blocking the only way out… Tyler?”

“Yes?” the stress was replaced with worry.

“Am I going to die as well?” Phoebe asked sobbing.

“Oh no, no no, everything is going to be okay. We are on our way.”

“But you’ll die too! You can’t come!” she didn’t want anyone else she loved to die too.

“Just stay where you are and stay calm.” How could she stay calm when she only had very little time left? *click* that’s when she started to panic.

*** 

Phoebe could hear the demon bumping into the furniture. Unaware of what she was doing she climbed into the bath and laid low. Tyler had told her to keep calm, so she started to slow her breathing. In, out, in, out. That’s when she smelt the fowl stench of rotten garbage again. The demon was right outside the bathroom door. In out in out, her breathing quicken again. The demon clawed at the door making every hair on Phoebe’s body stand on end. Then when she had least expected it the door caved in and in the doorway was the demon sniffing the air. All that ran through Phoebe’s head was I’m going to die. I’m going to die. The demon just stood there sniffing the air trying to find her, until, at the worst possible moment, she sneezed. When she opened her eyes she was face to face with the demon. All she could do was scream, she knew this was the end.