Chapter 7 - New Faces

Phoebe woke up to someone whispering near her face, she could feel the breath of the person, no people, brushing on her cheeks. She slightly opened her eyes, only to be greeted by two unfamiliar faces only inches away from her. To her surprise the boy looked really young, about ten she guessed. The girl looked about 16, Phoebe’s age, she had long dark hair and her eyes were so brown that they looked almost black, her skin was different though, it was dark but not as dark as the natives. The boy had blond hair and his eyes were a bright green with a faint golden ring around the pupil. “I know she is all fascinating but Liam, Kiwi, give her some space, I don’t think she can breathe.” She heard Zero say from a distance, he must be standing at the door.

“You know I don’t like being called Kiwi!”Said the girl, she had an accent that must have been New Zealand. Liam and the girl backed away, just enough so Phoebe could see Zero, now standing at the end of the bed.

“This is Liam Whitelaw, as you might guess, he’s Evelyn’s and Xavier’s son.” Zero began, pointing towards Liam. “And this is Scarlett Lovelace, Scarlett was sent here from New Zealand by the Clave. Oh and how are you feeling today?”

“Good, I guess, got a shocking headache though.” Phoebe replied, massaging her temples as she sat up.

“I can go and get Ian Stoetzer for you?” Liam asked, his eyes big and wide.

“I’ll be fine, I just need a glass of water.” As soon as Phoebe finished her sentence, Liam was off out the door.

***

Moments later Liam walked back into the room with a glass full of water in one hand and something in the other. “I saw Ian Stoetzer and he said to give you some Panadol.”

“Thank you.” Phoebe said smiling. He passed the pills to her and put the glass on the table. She took a sip of the water, threw a pill to the back of her mouth, then took another gulp of water, and then did the same with the other. Phoebe looked back at the others, shock was painted all over Liam’s face.

“How can you do that? The others just draw an Iratze rune on themselves.” Liam asked, saying everything too fast for Phoebe to catch up.

“Do what?” She said confused.

“Swallow those things!” He nearly yelled

“Liam, don’t be rude.” It was Evelyn waking into the room with another girl by her side, she looked just like a mini Evelyn. “I see the others got up early to see you. Melody could you please take your brother and go find your father, he is looking for you both.”

“Sure, Liam, come on.” Melody replied, and Liam followed her out the door.

“Now that you are feeling better, I think we should show you your new room and take you on a tour around the Institute, seeing this will be your home now.” Evelyn said.

“Oh, can I please show her around? Can I? Can I? Can I?” Scarlett asked, jumping up and down begging.

“I think I recall Zero asking, maybe next time Scarlett.” Zero stepped forward once Evelyn said his name.

“Hm… Where to start? I know,” He said to himself, “You ready Ms. Trueblood?”

“Just call me Phoebe. I don’t like my last name.” She said as she climbed out of the bed onto the cold tiles. He grabbed her hand and they walked out of the door into the hallway.