Chapter 6 - Werewolves?

“How do you know this?” Phoebe shouted at Amaris. Silence filled the large room only making Phoebe angrier. Why won’t they answer me? Went through Phoebe’s head. Amaris sighed still looking at her feet, but it was Tyler who answered.

“Before your father ran away…” he began

“My father’s dead, he didn’t run away. If he did, I would know.” Phoebe cut him off. Surely her mum would have mentioned it.

”He ran away because it was too dangerous for you and Annie to be around him. He was hated by many Downworlders, they would often have a demon summoned to spy on him or kill him.” Tyler said harshly making Phoebe’s eye well up. “Phoebe, don’t cry. It makes me feel like the bad guy.”

“I don’t get it, how do you two know but I don’t?” She said while a tear fell off the end of her nose. “Oh and how long has it been since you have had a shower? You both stink like wet dog.”

“We know because,” Amaris paused and sighed “Your dad asked our pack to look after you and Annie.”

“Pack?” Phoebe asked. Didn’t she mean family?

“They are Lycanthropes, more commonly known as Werewolves.” Zero answered before anyone else could. His voice so heavenly, calm and soothing, Phoebe could listen to it all day, “And one question, why are they still in the Institute anyway?”

“We are still here because we are the only people Phoebe knows.” Amaris snapped, making a low growling sound in her throat.

“I would hardly call myself a human if I were you.” He replied back, picking at his fingernails. After that Phoebe couldn’t keep up, everything happened in a flash. One minute Tyler was sitting down next to her, next minute he had Zero pinned against the wall. He had large yellow canines bared. “Yuck! Dog breath.” Zero exclaimed facing away from Tyler, he didn’t seem scared or he didn’t flinch when Tyler pinned him. It was almost like he was expecting one of them to pounce.

Xavier broke the boys apart, just before things started to get ugly. “Why don’t you two go home? Get some rest and see your pack.” Xavier said aimed Amaris and Tyler, who was now standing behind his sister. “We will call if anything happens.” They all looked towards Phoebe as to say Is it alright? She nodded and they got up. Ian escorted them out only to return right after they left the room.

“We should let her rest, you can ask her questions when she is awake.” Ian told the others and hinting to Phoebe that she should get some sleep. She closed her eyes and drifted into a deep sleep. Dreaming about the last moments she saw of her mum.

***

Phoebe shot straight up, sweat running down her temples and her chest. Her mouth and throat were incredibly dry, she grabbed the glass of water on the table. Nearly spilling her drink everywhere, she spotted someone asleep in the chair near her bed. She looked a bit closer, it was Zero. She quietly drank her water, trying not to wake him. He was more beautiful when he slept, seemed relaxed rather than tense. Phoebe told herself it’s not nice to stare and creepy to stare when that person is asleep. She shook her head, softly placed the glass back on the table, and drifted off to sleep again but this time she dreamt of Zero.