Prologue

Prologue

            “Then what do I tell them?” Brian, the news reporter, asked. He was shaking and didn’t understand what this man was asking.

            He was different than the others who worked here. He was about 5’9, had bright blonde hair, and grey eyes that looked like he was angry with this question. But as he noticed Brian’s trembling, his eyes softened up as he ran his hand through his gelled hair.

            “I don’t know,” he said shaking his head. “Tell them he got in a car accident or something.” He turned around on his heels and started walking toward the back exit.

            “We-well, what if they don’t believe it?” Brian asked with worry in his voice. He knew he was probably testing the water by asking but he was desperate to know.

            “Oh, they will,” the man said with a laugh over his shoulder right before the exit door slammed shut with a loud bang.

            Brian stood there for what felt like forever. His heart was racing and his thoughts were jostled. He finally shifted his weight from one foot to another and said aloud, “What in the-“

            “Brian! What are you doing?! We are on air in one minute! Get in here!” someone hollered at Brian.

            Brian stood there for a few seconds and then turned around and headed for the doorway to the newsroom. He walked over to the news desk, returned a small wave to the camera man, and sat in his seat.

            “Here goes nothin’,” he mumbled under his breath.

            The camera man began his count down. “5-4-3-2-“