Chapter 19 - Facts

Oh no, it was happening again, the juncture that had occurred in my kitchen was renouncing itself. I needed to abort mission, but I couldn't, it was almost as if my body was betraying me.

But it wasn't in mine or Jake's control when a sudden pain shot through my head and rang through my ears. I winced in shock as I gripped my temples and squeezed my eyes shut in agony. Instantaneously I identified the similarity of pain as the time I had experienced Hudson taunting me as I slept in Jake's car on the way here.

I could feel my body being pulled from reality, a voice beckoning me to let go as I fought against the drag.

"Haven!" I could hear Jake screaming towards me, his hands on my shoulders shaking me lightly before I lost control of my posture. I knew I was going to hit the floor square on my face if I couldn't wrap myself back from the attempted possession, but once again, Jake avoided that when I felt his arms catch me and reposition me against the wall as I cradled my head, scrunching my body up.

I could feel Jake's fingers around my own, his own brain realizing the ring was no longer in place to stop the attacks on my mind.

"Where is it?!" Jake snapped as his hands reached out to either side of my face. I couldn't answer, I couldn't move, I couldn't even open my own eyes.

It was then Jake's touch released me and I grew cold.

I was close to succumbing when I felt warmth against my skin and abruptly the force vanished and I came spiralling back to reality.

My breathing was rigid and fast as I took in deep breaths to regain my composure.

"Jesus Christ" Jake cursed as he pulled me towards him, one hand on the back of my head, the other on my back as he pressed me against his body sitting directly in front of me on the bathroom floor. I felt dizzy, tired as I tried to control my breathing, I gripped my hands onto the front of Jake's shirt, not willing to let go as he had once again saved me from darkness.

I refused to move, I didn't want to leave the closeness of Jake, and unexpectedly I knew I couldn't deny how I felt. The way Jake felt about me could have very much been mutual and the idea of being in danger was gone the moment Jake was near me, the moment I was close to him, I felt safe. I hated him, but there was a barrier blocking my heart as it tried to reach my brain.

"What is going on?" Aldrek's panicked voice now entered the room, followed by footsteps in the doorway.

"Hudson" Jake grumbled beside my ear towards Aldrek.

"The ring?" Aldrek questioned confused

"She took it off" Jake replied, making me feel stupid.

"He's persistent" Aldrek sighed heavily, clearly worried.

"He's desperate" Saxon then sniggered with hatred

"Is she okay?" Imelda asked as she entered the space where we sat crumpled on the floor.

"I think so" Jake replied as he regrettably leaned back, keeping his hand on the back of my head and back as he retracted. I quickly let go of the grip I held on his shirt realizing eyes were directly on us.

I kept my eyes on my lap as my fists bundled and my knuckles ached white

"You need to keep the ring on Haven" Imelda spoke sweetly towards me as she squatted down beside us.

I just nodded eager to stand up and brush the embarrassment off. I pushed my legs up, feeling wobbly as I attempted to lift myself from the cold tiles.

"Take it easy" Jake warned worried as he kept his hands on some part of my limbs to steady me. I relied on the wall heavily to keep me upstanding as Aldrek shooed the spectators off.