Chapter 37 - The end of the Beginning

I stared ahead, the sun slowly beginning to rise as a loose array of orange and red swirls danced over the horizon. I yawned, feeling myself grow more and more tired as I leaned back on the porch, my legs propped upwards against the railing.

I wanted to sleep, but I didn't want to leave reality. I had spent too much time away from the world, sleeping. I forced my eyes to stay awake as the front door opened and out walked Jake; he looked tired, his eyes heavy. He was without a shirt and just like all other times, I needed to force my own eyes to stay on his face rather than his bare chest.

I dropped my legs allowing Jake to pass where he took the seat beside me on the double seater.

"How are you feeling?" He asked

"Fine" I shrugged "And you?"

"Fine" He replied as he looked towards my face

"I... I have a lot of questions running through my head" I sighed as I looked toward him, our eyes meeting "As always"

Jake sighed back and moved his sight from me to the distance ahead.

"How did you...what happened to you?" I stumbled, unsure of how to ask how he'd come back to life to then revive me

He shrugged "I'm still a little unsure of it myself"

"Do you remember anything?" I asked, watching him carefully as he looked forward

He shook his head slowly before turning his eyes to me

"I think an angel was watching over us, over you" He softly spoke as he leaned forward with his elbows on his knees.

"Will I ever know?" I mumbled

He nodded "One day I think we will understand"

"And what happens now?" I slumped as the sunshine peeked out towards us, the porch, our faces lighting up with a golden glow.

"That's up to you" Jake spoke watching me

I looked out towards the sun, squinting as I thought about what I now wanted.

"I want to go back to school" I thought out loud, the sentence coming out almost as a question

Jake nodded "I wouldn't be opposed"

"But, I want to be wherever you are" I admitted, having trouble with my words as I kept my eyes ahead.

"As long as that's what you want, then I'll be wherever you are" Jake spoke back, his words sending shivers throughout my body as I turned my glance on him with a small smile

"That's exactly what I want" I nodded as his lips curved up into a smile, our eyes locking on each other like the first moment we'd met.

"Then that's where we'll start" He whispered as he leaned forward, his hand reaching up to my face, his fingers warm as they traced my jaw.

I had never ever expected to get to where I was now. I knew what I wanted, well, half, I knew I wanted Jake, I knew I wanted to go to school, I knew that things would never be the same ever again, I knew I was something supernatural, I knew that from now on, things would never be predictable, things had changed.

I knew that Jake's lips on mine were something I never wanted to end, something I would never really get used too

"I meant what I said Haven" Jake spoke quietly as he leaned his forehead on mine, my lips fuelled with electricity once he'd pulled away

"Which part?" I breathed

Jake hesitated before his words echoed through my ears, the words I'd never imagined myself to hear from anyone anytime soon.

"I love you"

I guess the Elders were right, for now.

I smiled uncontrollably and latched my hands around his neck, absorbing the entire moment.

Jake's smile was the most beautiful thing in the world, I never wanted it to fade and I wanted to be the reason that he smiled the way he did now in this moment, always.

"Things are about to get a whole lot more interesting now aren't they?" I whispered as Jake pulled his head back enough for me to look him in the eyes

"Very" He lightly laughed as he kissed me on the nose, his eyes dancing with passion as I relished in his relaxed, satisfied composure

I leaned forward needing to feel his lips on mine again when the front door opened and slammed shut again. Before I could finish what I had started our heads turned towards Julian who stood on the porch, his eyes were intent on our faces as his face sat unreadable.

"What's wrong?" Jake instantly asked, our happiness dropping at his clear confusion.

"I have someone who is extremely desperate to speak with you" Julian spoke as held up his mobile phone, his eyes now watching me

"Do you know who it is?" I questioned as I stood

Julian hesitated before answering "Luis"

My body halted and my eyes widened, I couldn't speak, I was stunned.

"Shall you explain, or shall I?" Julian asked as he waved the phone around

I removed myself from Jake instantly. This was going to be an interesting conversation and I had no idea how or what we were going to be discussing first. Our relationship had changed drastically, all because I had discovered what I really was, what he really was, what he had really done. Everything had changed, everything was going to be different now.

"Here" I mumbled taking the phone from Julian as I looked down at the screen before pressing it to my ear.

"Dad?

_______ END