Chapter 24 - Blaine

"Do I want to know why?" I raised my eyebrows

"I made a mistake last time we were together, it left her in the crossfire" He put simply as he averted his gaze, embarrassed.

"Right..." I narrowed my eyes as I thought.

"Does that mean she's going to instantly hate me too?" I asked, curious of this woman. What if she wanted payback? What if she put a spell on me instead of protecting me to get back at Jake? I was worried.

"Why would you assume that?" He narrowed his eyes back on me

I didn't want to say it was because he had a thing for me, not to his face anyway, but what other way was there to put it?

"Because of what your Elders say about us?" I concluded with

"I trust her, no matter how much she hates me. She's too afraid of Aldrek to betray my family" He answered back easily, unfazed as he leaned back.

Julian sighed as he entered the room, his mobile in hand as the other covered the speaker "Okay, so we have a problem. Tara said there's no way she's coming here, but there is somewhere else we can meet more publicly where she can do the protection spell..." He told us as he looked at Jake hesitantly.

"Where?" Jake demanded through exasperation.

"Blaine is having a Ball tomorrow night at his place, Tara is attending to sort some other spells out with a few others including Blaine" He continued, a look of worry on his face as he watched Jake's reaction.

Jake sighed after quiet hesitation "Fine, as long as it's done right"

Julian seemed pleased, a small smile growing, he was awfully pleased over something that didn't really concern him and it made me curious.

"Why is he so happy? Shouldn't I be the one smiling?" I asked Jake as Julian pushed the phone back to his ear, agreeing to Tara's conditions.

"He and Blaine are very close, it's rare he sees him" Jake revealed.

"Okay, so who is Blaine?" More information needed to be released.

"Blaine is my oldest friend" Julian spoke sitting beside me his arm draping over the couch behind me as he smirked proudly "Literally. Blaine is what we call an Amalgam, he was born a Wolf with a special ability, he can read a complete future with a simple touch" He told me like a doting father. Great, another species I was unaware of.

"Are there many like him?" I pushed eagerly

"Not too many we know of, the ones we do know of are what we call Royalty, very powerful" Julian answered.

"Royalty?" I repeated.
Of course, there always had to be a higher power in every breed now including Wolves "Could he read my future?" I mused, wondering if this were a possibility

"With a single tough" He smiled as he grazed his finger along my chin.

"Has he ever read yours?"

"No. He's very particular with who he reads, it is only with great circumstance he reads" He answered back.

"Oh" Was all I replied with, disappointed. This could count as a special circumstance, couldn't it?

"We should get ready then" Jake grumbled, unimpressed

"Don't be so down, it'll be a Ball!" Julian punned as he jumped up with a wink.

"Go pack a bag sweetheart we're leaving in an hour" Julian smiled before leaving the room.

"What do I bring?" I shot as he ignored me and left.

"Best to see Imelda about that one" Jake acknowledged, standing up as he led me towards the hall with a flick of his head, his small smile enticing me forward