Chapter One

Formal dresses hang on the walls all around the shop. I stand on a pedestal trying on a silver, floor-length, halter neck dress. I thought it is a beautiful dress but want to try on a couple more before deciding.

"I'm going to try on the next one," I say turning to the guy sitting on the chair next to the changing room. Seeing Steven sitting in one of the small chairs the formal shop has for people to wait in is comical simply because of his height. At six feet tall he is taller than most of the other members of his class. If you combine that with his athletic build, he looks like a giant sitting in a child's chair. He has black hair, emerald green eyes and a pale complexion.

"Take your time," he says. "I want you to have the right dress, Sis; otherwise, I'm going to have to hear about it for months."

I poke my tongue out at him, walk into the changing room and shut the door behind me. Untying the knot on the dress, I let it drop into a pool of fabric around my feet. After hanging it up, I turn to the next dress. A short knee length cyan button up number with a bubble skirt and spaghetti straps. Looking at, it I realize I'm going to need help. Putting my head out the door, I see Steven looking at the selection of ties the store holds.

"Steven?" I call to him.

He turns to me with a questioning look "Yeah, Kayla?" he asks.

"Can you ask the assistant for help, please?" I ask in a sweet voice.

"Sure," he says turning to go to ask for help.

Pulling my head back into the room, I turn to look at the mirror. Looking at myself, I could see how short I truly am. At five foot two, I'm shorter than almost everyone else in my class. I have long caramel brown hair, a few freckles on the bridge of my nose and hazel eyes.

Just then the assistant comes through the door. "Your brother says you need help?" She asks sweetly.

"Yes, please. This dress buttons up in the back, and I'm not going to able to do it myself," I explain.

Grabbing the dress off the hanger the assistant helps me step into the dress and then sets herself to buttoning up the back of the dress.

"Okay, sweetie, all done," the shop assistant says.

Walking out of the changing room, I see that Steven is sitting back in the chair near the door talking on the phone. Spotting me coming from the room, he says bye and hangs up.

"Did you forget to tell Michael you had this appointment? Because he called me asking why you weren't answering your phone," he tells me, "he also asked me to tell you that he is taking you to lunch."

"Okay," I reply. "So what do you think?" I ask with a twirl.

"It's nice, but it doesn't suit you. The style and color are all wrong," Steven says.

"Well let's try on the next one," I reply.

After walking back into the dressing room with the assistant, she helps me out of the cyan dress. Hanging on the hooks on the wall are two dresses, one a short spring green cap sleeve dress with sequins under the bust and the other is an ankle length peach colored strapless A-line with a sweetheart neckline.

"Which would you like to try on next?" asks the assistant.

"The peach colored one, please," I reply.

"Sure, don't look until it's laced up," she says, grabbing the dress down off the hook. Helping me step into the dress, the assistant steps behind me and starts lacing up the back of the dress.