Chapter 4

Once I realize that I moved the can just by thinking about it I decided to give it another try, but with something different. I walk over to more of the rocks and look for one that's a decent size, I spot one that looks about the size of my backpack for school. And I breath gently and close my eyes as I can feel Jace's presence behind me I clear all the thoughts out of my mind and decide this time to keep my eyes on the rock. So I picture the rock in the air and aim my eyes where I want it to go, and the rock is now in the air where my eyes are. I swiftly move my eyes from left to right and the rock moves along with them, then I picture the rock flying up higher in the air and disappearing into the clouds. And by the time I know it the rock is out of my site.

"Oops" is all I manage to get out and Jace just squints up at the sky but doesn't notice anything.

"I don't know what to say" he chuckles.

"So anyway... You going to tell me about how you know my mother?" I turn and make my way over to where Jace is standing.

"Right, let's see where do I begin. Well your father was part of The Emblem and that's the reason that you have powers is because your dad was the strongest of us. So my mother would meet with your parents and other people who were part of The Emblem to discuss issues and how to keep us safe from the government" he looks down and I know he knows that my father isn't my favorite subject, but he continues to talk.

"And so that's when I met your mother, she went with your dad to the meetings because she felt it was her obligation to keep you safe. My mother also had powers and that's why I am who I am, but my father left her when I was young knowing what she could do, he was afraid to be around her. I was young, about six years old and then they stopped having meetings after your father.. You know" he continues to look down and play with the grass beneath his boots.

"Wow I had no idea, my mother kept me from all of this. She didn't tell me anything, not until the morning after I started hearing people's thoughts" I say and I feel a bit hurt. That she would keep something like this from me.

"She was only trying to protect you, I hope you understand that. She thought it was best for you to feel normal until you started to change or what my mother use to call it, evolving" I can sense that he no longer wants to talk about his mother and that this is a sensitive topic for him, I am not going to push him to say anymore. I got my answer that's all I needed. When I check the time I realize it's two o'clock and I haven't eaten anything but a pastry.

"Yeah I'm hungry too, you want to go find a place to eat? I know a perfect little restaurant a little from here" he says and smiles, I can tell he is cheering up since we have moved off the topic of his mother.

"Sure I would love to, I could use some food right now" I laugh as my stomach makes a growling noise.

"I guess moving objects with your my mind drains all the energy out of ya" I say and Jace nods in reply. Jace picks the blanket off the ground and places it in the trunk along with the basket where the pastries were. He goes to open the door for me but this time he just uses his power and with a swift movement of his hand the car door opens for me.

"Sorry, you might as well get use to that" He says and smiles at my reaction. My mouth is hanging open but i close it.I then get into my seat and Jace sits across from me, looking at me for an answer I guess.

"I just haven't gotten use to all of this yet, thats all" I reply and he leans over to kiss me on the cheek, but at the last moment i turn my head so he ends up kissing my lips.

"You little cheater" he says playfully and tickles my neck. I can't help from bursting out laughing.

"Stop, stop it tickles Jace it tickles!" i screech and that's when i hear his thoughts.