Chapter Six

Effie felt like her heart disappeared from her chest. Her head spun with what she had just heard. Dr. Cohouln suggested sending her to a crazy house! Why? She wasn't crazy! She was sane. All she had was a little bit of head trauma. That's it!

She sat down in a chair that was placed beside the door. Placing her head in her hands she tried to come up with an idea on how to escape being sent to the nut house. She decided that she will continue to hide her visions of the girl from her parents, but avoiding glass from shattering at her touch or look will be a bigger problem.

A couple of minutes later, Effie heard the door open and footsteps walking past her.

"Effie, how long have you been here?" Effie looked up to see Dr. Cohouln standing in front of her with her parents on either side of her.

Effie stood up slowly and smoothed down her skirt. "Not long, I just got back. Miss Trish had to go take care of something and she left me here to wait for you all to finish." Effie finished with a sweet smile hoping that she fooled them.

Dr. Cohouln looked down at her skeptically before turning to her parents. "I believe that everything is set. There's no more questions you wanted to ask?" Both her parents shook their head no. "Alright, then I'll walk with you all to the exit."

Effie held her mothers hand as they traveled through the hospital towards the large double doors. Effie hadn't noticed it before, but the doors where made completely out of glass.

Right after that thought, the doors shatter when they were a yard away from the doors. Effie shot her hands up while her father stood in front of Effie and her mother and waited until the rain of glass ended.

When her father stepped away, Effie gasped at the sight. A ring of glass completely circled the four nearly. Not one scratch or piece of glass was on any of them.

Effie's mother grabbed her hand quickly and pulled her out of the shattered doors and into the waiting car. Her father jumped into the drivers seat and started the car. Effie looked out of the window to see a bewildered Dr. Cohouln still standing in the circle of glass staring at her. He disappeared from sight as the car lurched away from the hospital. Before she glanced away, she saw a crack starting to form in corner of the window. She looked away quickly before she had the chance to break something else today.

"H-how did you do that, Effie?" her mother asked frantically turning around to face her.

Effie's breathing had not had the chance to slowed down before she answered. "I don't know. How did you know it was me?"

"Effie, who else could it be?" her father spoke up. He was using a stern voice laced with concern. "Besides, you have been the one breaking anything glass in our house."

"I'm telling you, I don't know how that happened? Like how I don't know how I'm breaking the glass." Effie looked down at her hands clenched together on her lap. "What's wrong with me?"

Effie heard her mother sigh as she reached out to stroke her daughters head. "Sweetie," the frantic voice was now consoling and smooth. "Nothing's wrong with you. Things must be happening out of coincidence." Effie saw her mother shoot her father a look as if challenging him to counter what she had just said.

Effie shook her head and moved her mothers hand away. "No. Something's wrong with me. I know it. It's not coincidence that glass breaks every time I look or touch it. It's not a coincidence that when I flew my hands up some sort of protection seems to form around us. Nothing's a coincidence anymore. The only thing that's normal about my injuries is that I have a broken leg. No one else that I've known that's broken their leg has had these sort of issues." Effie, not wanting to break the window she was next to, rolled it down letting the wind into the car. "I heard what Dr. Cohouln suggested."

"W-what are you talking about, dear?"

Effie shook her head and sighed. "I know that he suggested that if I don't get better he'll send me to the crazy house. I'm not going to get better. Why not go ahead and send me there now?"

The car suddenly came to a stop and almost made Effie lurch from her seat. Effie's father turned abruptly in his seat and gave her a stern look.

"We are not sending you there," he told her. "You will get better, Effie. I know it. This will just take longer than we think. We will not send you to that asylum. Ever. Do you understand?"

Effie smiled, gratefully at her father. "Yes, Daddy."

Her father smiled, relieved, and patted her head. "Good. Now let's go home."