12

We walked into the aquarium, Evan a few paces ahead. I had always been eager to see an aquarium but that all changed when I saw the vast amount of water stored behind the glass windows, what if they were to spring a leak?

I didn’t want it to happen but I couldn’t stop the memories of having a towel over my face and water being poured over me to create a drowning affect, I couldn’t stop the memories of what those horrible people did to me. Of what those people bought me to believe.

A whimper left my lips and instantly Evan turned around,” is everything ok?”

I pulled on the fakest smile I could wanting to avoid his question look, then turned away from him and nervously strolled over to a glass window, Evan following slowly behind me. The whole time I could feel his eyes on me and could literally sense the confusion rolling of his skin.

Needing a desperate topic change I looked at the ugly fish swimming behind the class and said the first thing that came to mind, “You look like one of these”

I watched as Evan gave me a confused look then sighed and slowly turned his head to look at it.

“You think I look like a puffer fish?”

“Yeah I mean look at its face, so angry looking and fat”

“What are you trying to say?”

“That the fish has a fat face”

“You’re either dumb or trying to avoid me, I’m thinking both” he deadpanned, hitting the nail right on the head.

“No I’m not,” he gave me a sceptical look before he raised his eyebrow and then drew his lips in a thin line as if to confirm a question he asked himself. Yep he so just confirmed I was both dumb and avoiding him.

“Ok, whatever suits you,” he made a face at me, making me laugh,” But you look like one of these,” my laugh silenced when he pointed to an ugly animal know as an octopus.

I feigned a look of hurt and went over to smack his arm to which he easily dodged. I went to smack him again but instead he grabbed both my wrists and dragged me into another room that was only lit by the window that was built to show seals for when they held shows.

He pushed me down on one of the seats facing the window, which gave a clear view of the three seals that were swimming around.

 He sat down next to me not letting go of my hands, was he scared I was gonna run off if he let go? Because I was seriously on edge waiting to bolt the second he let go. But that changed when he looked at me with concerned eyes.

“Something’s up so tell me what’s wrong,” he didn’t ask a question but instead used a comforting tone to tell me it was a demand.

I sighed and pulled my hands gently away from him to clasp them together in my lap, my eyes suddenly finding an interest in how they fit together, he sure was good at picking up my emotions” when I was younger I- I was….”