Chapter 21: Snowfall, Part 2

THE BLIZZARD ARRIVED before nightfall, piling snow against the walls and covering the mountain in white

THE BLIZZARD ARRIVED before nightfall, piling snow against the walls and covering the mountain in white. Brisk winds made the flakes flurry, sneaking in through the many cracks of the citadel.

Leaving poor Mouse in the infirmary, with some hefty puncture wounds to show for his adventure, Mhysra went in search of Derrain. "I need to visit Bumble. Want to come?"

He raised his eyebrows, knowing where she'd been. When she shook her head, he gave a dramatic shiver. "Go outside? Have you seen the weather?"

She rolled her eyes. "Why yes, dear Derry, I may have noticed a sprinkling of snow. However, I haven't seen Bumble for days and if Kilai hears he'll kill me. Come if you're coming. If not, well, more cakes for me."

"You drive a hard bargain," he grumbled, but traipsed after her through the eastern citadel and down to the kennels. A chorus of yips and barks greeted them as they crossed the frozen courtyard. The keeper in the workroom was Jynese, an Aquilan lass and a close friend of Kilai's.

Seeing them shivering, she grinned. "Come inside, my lambs, before you grow icicles."

Derrain hurried straight to the fire. "Heirayk's sweet mercy on you, Jynese," he murmured, chattering his teeth for effect.

"Poor boy," she crooned, rubbing his back. With her full figure, green eyes and warm smile, she was very pretty and very popular. Especially amongst the boys.

"Sit yourselves down," Jynese invited, winking at Mhysra. "I'll get you a drink and see what else I can find. The dogs are being fed now, so I'll fetch your girl in a bit." She ushered them both into chairs, filled the kettle and searched the cupboards. When she was done, Derrain and Mhysra cradled cups of Mistrunan tea and balanced plates of apple tarts, scones and cheese slices on their knees. That was the other reason why Jynese was so popular, especially with the boys – she fed them.

"You are a prize," Derrain praised, his mouth full. "You make the best tarts in Aquila."

"My pa would disagree," she chuckled, and as the town's baker he was probably right. "But flattery is always appreciated." She looked up as the door opened and smiled. "Kilai."

Mhysra almost spilled her tea. "What are you doing here?"

Her brother raised his eyebrows and ruffled snow from his hair. "Nice to see you too, neglectful sister of mine. Remembered you have a nakhound, have you?"

Putting her cup aside, she wrinkled her nose. "I've been busy."

"So have I," he retorted, "but I'm still here. And I only just got back."

Derrain chuckled, gathering the crumbs off his plate with his fingertip. "If I had such enticements I'd come straight here too." He winked at Jynese.

Rolling her eyes, Jynese prodded Kilai in the chest. "Think of how much free time you had when you were a newbie – if you can remember that far back, old man – and be nice to your sister. I'm going to fetch the pup." Patting him on the head, she trotted out the door.