Chapter 22: The Thaw, Part 1

Twenty Two

Twenty Two

24th Winter Rains

"I don't think this is a good idea," Mhysra warned, watching Mouse lurch to the windowsill.

"If I want to walk again, I have to walk," Mouse panted, waving away Derrain's help. White lines were etched at the corners of his mouth, but no one mentioned them.

After almost a month in the infirmary, fighting off infections as well as the damage of the puncture wounds, Mouse had spent the last two moons hobbling around on crutches. The healers still worked with him when the rest of the first-years did their physical training. Thanks to them, Mouse would eventually be able to walk without a stick, but only if he was sensible. And patient. Since this was Mouse, Mhysra didn't hold out much hope. Especially as he'd decided to forego his crutches entirely this morning.

"Ready to try?" Derrain asked, pushing the others aside.

Mouse stared at the empty floor between himself and Derrain, head bobbing as he calculated the distance: about twelve feet. "Yes. It'll be easy."

Hugging his crutches, Corin snorted, but held her peace. The fall had changed Mouse. He was quieter now, more self-contained and grim, and far more determined. His friends had learned to support him in silence, since he didn't listen to objections. Nor did he want pity or advice. He was going to walk without a limp and that was final.

"All right." Taking a deep breath, Mouse moved, his friends wincing with each step. After eight feet, he hissed and wobbled. "Blast it," he growled, grabbing Dhori's arm. "I hate this."

"Eight feet is better than none," Mhysra said soothingly. "And you walked. It's a start."

He looked at her. She shut up.

"A limp isn't so bad. Look at Captain Myran," Greig pointed out, as one or other of them had done daily since the accident.

"Myran was already a captain when he gained his limp," Mouse growled. "I'm not even allowed on a miryhl. If things stay this way I'd have been better off breaking my neck."

An uneasy silence fell and Mhysra hunched her shoulders, her guilt over Mouse's injuries growing with every bitter day that he struggled to walk again.

"Cheer up," Derrain ordered, squeezing Mhysra's arm sympathetically. "It's your first go without crutches. Don't give up yet. Even miryhls have to learn to fly."

"Is da poor ickle cwipple feeling sowwy for himself?" a mocking voice cooed.

Bovei and three of Willym's favourite students lounged in the corridor behind them. Eyeing Mouse's bent leg and the crutches Corin held, Bovei smirked. "Poor baby."

"Got something to say, lordling?" Greig demanded, squaring up the them. Though he might have lacked his uncle's intimidating height, Derrain didn't, and the pair of them blocked Mouse from unfriendly eyes.