Chapter 10

Eric

Do it Eric!

Do what?

Follow her you dimwit!

But I have a girlfriend, this could mean so many things!

That girl might be in desperate need of your help! It's not every day you find a girl living alone in the woods.

We don't know if she's alone.

Only the heavens know why they gave you a conscience if they knew you wouldn't listen to me.

But what about Kathy?

Oh forget about her for now. Though you two try so hard to make it work, you guys just aren't for each other.

Hey! You're the same guy who persuaded me to ask her out!

Just go after her already, damn it!

The girl's footprints were slowly being washed away by the rain. Eric took off, careful not to slip in the mud. He felt like he had been running for hours, when the footprints stopped. He hadn't even noticed the rain had stopped.

He stood in an all too familiar clearing now, with fruit trees at the far corner. The stronger trees stood tall and formed a canopy over his head.

His eyes finally landed on the cabin. After years of abandonment, it still looked the same.

Memories flashed.

The Scout Cabin Number Two.

A noise from above drew hus attention. He squinted and thought he could make out a person's figure against the slightly gray sky.

"Hello? "

The figure climbed higher.

"Hell-" "I told you to go!" A feminine voice cut him off.

"Don't be afraid, I'm harmless. " Eric began slowly. "I-"

"Why aren't you leaving?" She interrupted yet again. "Because I want to help you," "I don't need your help, you...you... oversized porcupine!"

What?

"Listen, I already ran this far after you and it's getting dark. You don't expect me to find my way back to that lake in the dark?" He noticed she had inched a bit closer to the ground.

He smiled triumphantly.

"But how do I know you won't pull out a massive canine the second I touch ground?"

What? A massive canine?

"I promise I won't attack you with a canine, a sledgehammer, an anvil and whatever bizarre weapon you think up," Eric rolled his eyes.

"I never even mentioned a sledgehammer or an anvil!" She sounded exasperated.

"Just come down already!" Eric heard the slight rustling of leaves as her dark figure slowly touched ground.

"Come on," he probed gently and hesitantly but confidently she stepped into the pale light. For the second time that day, Eric was gobsmacked.

How a girl this pretty could live in a fairly dangerous forest eluded him.

Her green eyes raked over him and he noticed her furrowed brows and the look of curiosity in her eyes.

After what seemed like an eternity, she jutted her head towards the cabin and started to walk towards it. Eric wasted no time in following.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

The rain had started again.

Eric lay in an old sleeping bag while the girl sat by the fireplace, gazing into the fire.

The silence was uncomfortable, at least to Eric it was. So you could imagine how annoyed the girl was when he started.

"Hey"

"Hey"

"Hey"

"Uh, hello?"

A creak was heard outside the window behind him.

Eric's eyes widened. A shadow moved swiftly in the pale moonlight.

"Um, excuse me? Miss?"

She didn't turn.

The creaking noise came again.

"Uh, r-really Miss I-" The shadow flew past again. Then there was silence. The silence stretched as Eric moved closer to the window.

Suddenly, something began tapping and flapping furiously at the window.

"HOLY MOTHER OF TWO WEEK OLD NACH-" A hand covered his mouth, cutting him off. He looked up and saw a warning look in the girl's eyes.

She lifter her free hand to her lips and walked cautiously towards the window.

Eric let out a squeak of protest as she began to open the window. She shot him a glare and stuck her head and arm out.

The thing fluttered and landed on her arm. It was a bird. A huge one at that.

It flew to the coat hanger by the wall and settled. "She doesn't like noise so it's best you keep quiet,"
The girl returned to her place by the fire and looked at the bird.

"Um, s-so hey I'm Eric, what's your name?" Eric extended his hand. She looked at the hand then to him and to the hand again. "Don't worry, I don't bite." He chuckled.

"Put that hand away then I'll tell you, " She looked antsy as she stared at his outstretched hand.
Confused, Eric withdrew his hand.

"My name is Robyn." She gave him one last cold stare before she turned back to the fascinating fire.

Robyn...

"Nice name. And how long exactly have you been living here in the woods?" She shook her head. "That's none of your business. "

Eric was taken aback by her rudeness. "I just want to help. I could take you back to the city and help you find your real family wherever they are and-"

"I am NOT going to the city!" Her eyes burned in rage and her breathing became ragged. "B-but why-"

"You're one of them aren't you? You want to kill me! They want to kill me! I refuse to go!" "Okay hey hey!" Eric reached for her but she jumped back just as the bird began to squawk and fly about in surprise.

"Don't touch me." She hissed and she walked into an adjoining room-the bird following- and shut the door with all her might.

A/N

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your patience. And I guess I should have said it earlier, but I'm on holiday in Orlando and I didn't get to write.

Secondly, Just agree with me that this chapter is just bull. I mean, my imagination seemed on holiday as well plus I lost my draft book ××.

I kept you waiting so long just for a poopie chappie and I'm so sorry.