Chapter 3

After a quick trip in to meet Étienne Forcier, the man who "traveled" to Paris and saw the money from the bank being sucked through a vent and sent to the audience back in Las Vegas. He was utterly convinced it was magic and swore on his life that he teleported.

"IT WAS DE DELEPORDATION HELMET!" He yelled repeatedly, "I AM INNOCENT!"

Rhodes and Journey were in a room with the useless witness for less than ten minutes before they went to see Henley Reeves, the only female in the group of magicians. She turned out to be as egotistical as Atlas. And was as helpful as him.

After twenty minutes of listening to Dylan yell at the unfazed woman before him, FBI Agent Amber Journey found herself in a room with Merritt McKinney and Dylan Rhodes.

Two bluish grey colored eyes glimmered across the table at Amber. The man smiled a quirky smirk as he glanced her over. A thin eyebrow raised as she put both her feet up on the desk between them.

"What's this?" Merritt McKinney asked with a quick glance at Rhodes, "Take your daughter to work day?"

Amber choked on air and began gasping for breath. As soon as she got it back, she began dying of laughter. Snorts and loud guffaws escaped the small woman as she doubled over in her seat, clutching her ribcage.

"Journey, for Odin's sake, pull yourself together," Rhodes snapped irritably.

Merritt grinned up at the older cop before staring back at the woman across from him, who was wiping her damp eyes with her fingers.

"Oh I like you," she chuckled, "The brunette was just annoying and an arrogant snob."

"Who? Henley or Atlas?"

"Both," Amber stated as her laughter died away, "I would say they should just elope but their egos might be too big to fit in the car."

Merritt's smile widened and he stuck a cuffed hand across the table.

"Merritt McKinney, Mentalist," he grinned before adding, "Not like you already knew that or anything but I thought it would be a nice gesture."

"It was," Amber said returning the smile as she shook the man's hand.

He squinted at her and tilted his head to the left.

"I'm, I'm getting a sense that you are, an, only child-no wait you have a sister-no brother," Merritt began still clutching the girl's hand.

His brow furrowed as he continued searching her face.

"A brother yes, who is ten-no twelve years older than you, wow that's a long time. Your parents get bored after he got into middle school?" Merritt joked as he continued studying the girl's face.

"You don't see much of your brother. Maybe because of the age gap no-no it's not that, oh, oh dear," Merritt said as his smile fell, "I'm so sorry."

"Why are you sorry? What's he talking about, Journey?" Rhodes interrupted suddenly, "And since when do you have a brother?"

Amber swallowed and fought her painful emotions as she gently withdrew her hand from Merritt's.

"I don't anymore," she said quietly, "He's dead."

Rhodes for once kept his mouth shut while Merritt opened his.

"My brother stole everything from me, Sweetheart. Money, fame, glory. There was a time when I wanted nothing more than to see him six feet under."

Amber glared at Merritt who raised his cuffed hands in front of him.

"Hey, hey, hey, I'm just saying that I sorta understand what your going through," he paused, "Sorta not really."

Amber rolled her eyes and watched as Dylan Rhodes sat down in the seat beside her.

Merritt turned to him as if seeing him for the first time.

"Oh hello there, Gramps! I forgot you were there! Go ahead and talk! The silence was far too pleasant!"

"Cut the crap, McKinney," Rhodes said darkly, "You and your buddies are going away for a long time. We know how you did it."

Amber hid her surprise at this blatant lie and set to work on McKinney.

She prided herself in being able to read people for what they truly were. Which made her a valuable asset to the FBI. Simply put, it made her a great detective.

The man before her was not a young one. No, if she had to guess she would say late forties early fifties. Balding and most likely always wearing a hat. There were small hat marks on the sides of his temples.

He wore a black button up shirt with a grey vest and a fedora sat on the edge of the table.

So he was well dressed, keeping up appearances. Not going under the radar like most wanted criminals.

He has something planned, the brunette realized.

But what? A brilliant escape? Impossible. A date? Seeing his age, unlikely. A show. Of course! That had to be it. The Four Horsemen had to have another show planned.

"Nope."

Amber blinked in surprise at McKinney.

The man was looking at Rhodes with a smug look.

"No?" Dylan questioned.

"Nah, you've got no clue how we did it," Merritt chuckled as he sat back in his chair, "Hate to break it to you, Curly, but your poker face sucks crap."

Dylan's dark eyes flashed.

"You don't know a thing about me."

"Oh I beg to differ," Merritt said peering at the man across from him.

"No, don't even try your stupid-"

"You grew up fending for yourself. Sad childhood you got there kiddo. You were a daddy's boy," Merritt began slowly, "I'm getting a sense-no an emotion-"

"Anger?" Amber supplied as she watched Dylan's face turn from red to purple.

"No," Merritt replied slowly, "More than that. Bitterness. So what happened? Your dad left you? Gee you're still upset about that? Dear Odin, get over it. Dads leave all the tim-HEY!"

Dylan had launched himself at the man, his hands itching for his throat.

Amber had just managed to shove him away with her shoulder.

Dylan crashed into the floor onto his side. Swearing, he stood up and with a malevolent look at Merritt stalked out.

A moment later a yell could be heard.

"JOURNEY!"

"Welp, that's my cue," Amber sighed as she picked up her folder.

"Feel free to visit anytime, Sweetheart!" Merritt said grinning.

Amber smiled in reply and walked out the door moments after her partner.

"IF YOU SEE ATLAS TELL HIM HE'S A-"

The door shut behind her before she could hear the last word.

Shaking her head with laughter, she walked over to Rhodes, who was standing in front of the door to their last prisoner.

"Jack Wilder," she said, after consulting her packet.

"Let's just get this over with," Rhodes muttered pushing the door open.