Chapter 14

The warm, sunny air of summer gently rolled over the lumpy hills that decorated the land beside Amber's home. The tall grass tickled her bare toes as she sat admiring the view from the porch. A bright sunny day filled with, corn on the cob, capture the flag and vitamin D.

The thirteen-year-old's eyes slid shut as the fluffy white clouds parted to reveal the hot July sun. Almost immediately, golden rays shone down upon the brown grass and warmed the girl's face. Her face was full of brown freckles that her mother loved to call sun kisses.

"Amy!" Evan called from inside the house, "Are you coming, or do I have to eat all this watermelon myself?"

Amber shot off the porch and ran inside. The wire door swung shut behind her with a wooden bang. The warm summer air turned steamy and baking inside the small farm house.

Amber was practically sweltering when she came into the kitchen.

Her brother had his back to her wearing his customary, red and white patterned apron around his waist. His brown hair was beginning to stick to his damp forehead and his brown was furrowed with concentration as he balanced to plates filled with two hotdogs, an ear of corn and a thick, juicy piece of watermelon on each.

"I am four seconds away from dropping this," he said carefully as he stuck his tongue out of the corner of his mouth in concentration, "So grab a plate."

Amber crossed her arms across her chest and grinned up at her older brother.

"Nah, I'd rather stay here and watch you suffer," she grinned.

Evan raised an eyebrow at her.

"Fine by me," he said casually, "But the lunch that falls on the dirty, 'not washed since mum and dad went on vacation' floor is definitely yours."

Amber's eyes widened and she quickly snatched up a plate from his arm, nearly causing him to drop the other.

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!" He said playfully pretending to fall towards her.

She squealed as the plate flew towards her face and turned away, her brown curls bouncing.

"Gotcha!" Evan grinned in her ear before racing towards the porch, "DIBS ON THE ROCKING CHAIR!"

"NO FAIR!" Amber yelled back racing after him.

The wire door swung dangerously on its hinges as both kids slammed it open one after the other.

Amber stared across the porch at her brother who was smirking proudly at her from his rocking chair, half a hotdog dangling from his mouth. He swallowed then smiled widely at her, revealing chunks of hot dog stuck in his teeth.

"Real mature, Evan," Amber grumbled as she sat by his feet in her spot on the floor.

"Amy, I'll have you know I try my very best," Evan said placing a hand to his heart dramatically.

She bit her lip trying not to giggle. But his absolutely ridiculous "serious" facial expression broke her. A laugh escaped her and was followed by several more when her brother grinned at her.

"You're an idiot," she laughed as she picked up her watermelon.

Evan mirrored her movements and shrugged as he chewed on a mouthful of watermelon.

"A lovable one though," he said before spitting his watermelon seeds into her face.

She winced as the wet black beads struck her face and slowly dribbled down her forehead, nose and cheek. After wiping them off and sending a particularly playful glare at her brother, she took a deep bite of her watermelon.