Chapter 16

When Amber awoke the second time in her new surroundings, she was in a much better state of mind. However one must remember that she had been kidnapped therefore suspicion was at the forefront of her mind when she wrenched off her covers and stumbled towards the door.

Only when her hand was on the handle, did she pause.

Who knew what was on the opposite side of the doorway? What could be awaiting her? Would someone be there to greet her? How had she even gotten here?

Nothing was to be answered by staying in the room so Amber quickly wrenched it open.

An empty hallway greeted her.

Taking a deep breath, Amber placed a foot outside her door to test the floorboards. To her relief, nothing creaked. She carefully stepped out of her room and silently maneuvered her way down the hall.

The dull grey walled hallway had several oaken doors along it, (Amber's room had been the one on the end) and she couldn't resist peeking in a couple.

The first room she reached, opened silently on its hinges to reveal a messy chamber. Five decks of open cards littered the room and she could see a Jack of Hearts stuck in the ceiling fan. The bed was crappily made and the pillow was practically hanging off the bed. A pair of black converse were peeking at her from under the bed and she smiled.

She had an idea of where she was now.

Carefully, she closed the door and headed to the next room.

Her nose wrinkled at the smell coming from the room but she continued in anyway.

This room obviously had a woman's touch. Hair dryers, combs and brushes were in a haphazard order on a white painted desk. Makeup decorated a small vanity that was squeezed in beside the bed. A blue and white polka dotted comforter covered the bed with matching pillows.

The heavy odor of perfume laid like a mist on the room. It reeked of vanilla, lavender and other indistinguishable scents. Separate, the perfumes would have been nice but when mixed all together (as they were) in the room, it made it smell like someone decided to blow up Victoria's Secret and Sephora.

Amber sneezed twice before shutting the door quickly behind her.

So she had been kidnapped by the Four Horsemen.

But why? What could they possibly want from her? Or was this one of Dylan's orders? To keep her from spilling his identity to the rest of the FBI?

She shoved her thoughts from her mind and continued exploring.

She found a living room complete with a flatscreen tv, one leather couche, a recliner, old takeout meals, a long wooden table surrounded by ripped up seats and a small connecting kitchen.

After a quick check of the windows and door (both were locked and or nailed shut), she glanced in the fridge and laughed.

Every single piece of food was organized by shape and amount. Each food also had a label taped to the shelf in front of it with a title written in neat square handwriting.

Merritt's Tuna Sandwich, read one label.

A devious smirk took up the brunette's face as she studied the labels. She gently pulled on one and it easily came off of its sticky surface.

"Excellent," she muttered as she began studying the set up of the food.

Ten minutes later, Amber stood and gently brushed her hands. Every single piece of food had been moved and most of the labels had been either put in upside down or sideways in brand new spots.

She shut the fridge door and glanced around. As a thought crossed her mind, she felt another smile cross her face. She ran back into the hallway and pulled open a door.

After a quick glance in what could only be Merritt McKinney's room (It reeked of socks fermenting in moldy pizza), Amber shut the door and opened the one leading to Daniel's room.

Everything was meticulously organized. The bed was spotless, not a crease nor fold to be seen. The pillows were flat and unwrinkled, as well. Even the hardwood floor was speckless. Not a fleck of dust or piece of dirt anywhere to be seen.

Amber walked inside and the door shut behind her. She felt her jaw drop as she saw the chest of drawers to her left.

Razors, combs, bottles of hair conditioner (what the actual crap, Daniel?) and brushes were all organized by length and evenly distanced.

"Dear Odin, Atlas," she muttered as she stared around the room.

Another horribly cruel thought crossed her mind.

"No," she said shaking her head stubbornly and heading for the door, "It's too mean."

Her hand was on the doorknob before she turned back to look at the room.

"Buuuuuuut," she said thoughtfully, "They did kidnap you."

"Well they kidnapped me, not just Daniel," she argued back.

"But he would be the best one to prank," she said back to herself.

Her hand twisted on the metal handle of the door as she fought with herself.

"But it wasn't just him," she said slowly.

"Yes but he is the ringleader. For all you know he told them to kidnap you," she finished smugly.

She laughed wryly and leaned her forehead against the door.

"I'm going to go mad," she muttered to herself.

Heaving a sigh, she turned around to face the pristine room. She clapped her hands together and grinned.

"So, shall we begin?"