Chapter 25

AN-
Guess who got Civil War?
Better question, guess who will be able to quote it once this certain person has watched it another three times? 😂

Amber expected to be the first one up the next morning.

She was wrong.

The apartment was unusually silent when she awoke. In fact, the lack of loud arguments and threats put her off.

She was looking forward to seeing Merritt kill Jack over wearing his hat.

But it was not to be.

She crept out of bed and slowly made her rounds of each of the rooms.

That was when she realized something.

Everyone was gone.

There was no sign of The Horsemen.

There was no Merritt, humming happily at the griddle as he made bacon.

There was no Henley complaining about how Jack ate all the chocolate chips.

There was no Jack, feigning to be innocence whilst throwing his cards across the room at a crummy stick figure drawing labeled as "Danny".

And there was no Daniel, pretending to be completely focused on his book while actually shooting Amber covert looks.

There was not even the faintest trace of their existence.

"Guys?" Amber called softly.

The dead apartment offered her nothing but stony silence.

Suddenly the sofas and coffee tables weren't as familiar. They stared haughtily back at her defying her right to be there. The cold leather felt unfamiliar to the woman's fingertips as she gently ran her hand across it.

As she studied the room, her guard began to rise. This was too out of the ordinary. Too weird, too quiet and most of all too vacant.

Where was everyone?

Slowly Amber walked through the entire apartment. She stopped at every door to peer inside.

Henley's room seemed naked without her compacts and bottles of nail polish. Even her bed was missing its usual blue comforter. Instead it had been replaced by ugly, seemingly-never-been-washed yellowish white sheets and pillows.

She blinked and shut the door behind her before heading into Jack's room. A surprised "hmm" escaped her lips when the only evidence of his stay was a mark in the wall caused from, no doubt, a card thrown with, perhaps, too much eagerness.

Amber merely peeked into Merritt's room, the smell preventing her from journeying in further.

So instead she went into the last bedroom (apart from her own).

Daniel's.

The door's hinges were squeaky with age and made a terrific serenade when she entered.

She cautiously stuck her foot into the room, stepping gently.

The hardwood creaked under her weight, and she winced. Then she stood up straight cursing herself.

No one was there so why was she so paranoid?

Shaking her head at her own stupidity she made her way forwards into the room.

Unlike the other rooms, Daniel's didn't seem much different. Everything was organized to the t. Which was very Danielish, mind you, but perhaps the reason it didn't seem much different was because Daniel didn't make many changes to the original room.

Whatever the answer was, Amber didn't have time to think on it before her attention was taken by a slip piece of parchment.

The paper was stuffed, rather conveniently, obviously trying to be seen, against one of the pillows on the bed.

Amber tilted her head to the side as she peered at it. Then, without a moment's hesitation, she snatched it up.

On the front was a rather basic drawing of an eye. The back was decorated by the odd contours that The Horsemen identified with as their symbol.

She stared down at it and flipped it over and over in her fingers, watching the metallic ink shine this way and that.

Suddenly a pounding came from the door.

Amber stiffened, her fingers curling around the paper in her hands.

Muffled voices came from behind the door that led to the main apartment accompanied by the sound of fists on the door.

Then it went silent.

Amber blinked, and still clutching the card between her fingers she peeked out of Daniel's room and into the living room, towards the doorway.

A loud splintering crash reverberated in her ears as the door to the apartment crashed open.

The dust cleared and Dylan Rhodes stood behind the door rubbing his shoulder beside Agent Fuller. Both had guns out and were cautiously standing in the remains of the doorway.

"Dylan?" Amber asked in a tremulous voice.

The man's chocolate brown eyes flicked to her and grew wide. He shoved his gun back into his holster, walking towards her.

"Journey?" He pulled her into a tight, unexpected, hug. "Odin, Journey, I thought they killed you," He muttered in her ear.

"You didn't ask them to kidnap me?" She whispered back, hiding her mouth behind the man's shoulder as she slowly patted his back.

Dylan stiffened. His arms froze around her.

"Y-yes, I actually did," he muttered back after a long pause. "But they made it look like you were dead so I expected the worst. You were so close to the explosion-"

"That you knew was going to happen," Amber interrupted as she pulled away from the man.

He stared down at her, his mouth set in a firm line.

"Why did you think I tried to pull you out of there so fast?"

Amber looked away.

"We were supposed to be partners, Dylan," she sighed. She looked back at up at him, her emerald eyes filled with silent regret. "But I can't trust someone with as much secrets as you have."

Dylan peered at her uncertainty surfacing in his expression.

"What are you saying?" He asked slowly.

Amber took a deep breath.

"I'm leaving the FBI."

AN-
Guys...there is only ONE MORE CHAPTER OF THIS BOOK LEFT. 😱 HOW DID THIS GO SO FAST???

And I just want to say that I'm super thankful for all the positive comments and votes! You people are awesome!

So ya'll know, I have two other books that I will continue to update. They are "Legends in Love" a Legends of Tomorrow fan fic and "The Dark Side" which is a Star Wars TFA fan fic.

Just to end on an encouraging note, for when life feels relentlessly difficult, remember Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

That verse is really helping me along as I muddle through life. I need to keep my focus on God and serving him, rather than myself. Serving me isn't helping anyone and it's just dragging me down. I want to focus more on His love and mercy. And I know He'll be with me every step of the way!

If anyone wants help understanding this or has questions, feel free to PM me or leave comments!

Stay awesome! And I hope you liked the chapter!