Chapter Forty-Five

A/N: Warning for parental violence.

***

"...And if you've any idea what color your dress will be, we can work the decorations around that. We wouldn't want the ballroom to clash with you, considering you and Lucius will be the focal point."

Narcissa listened intently, though Seraphina's words were dissolving into a blur the longer she continued to speak. Narcissa had helped to coordinate parties before, but she'd never been given the final decision in any of the plans, and she had no idea how to handle so many choices. She sat beside Seraphina in the dining room, where the table had been covered in swatches of fabric in every texture and pattern she could imagine.

"I haven't really thought about my dress," Narcissa admitted. "I can always wear something in a neutral tone so that we don't have to worry about it clashing."

"If that's what you want, then yes," said Seraphina, "but please choose whatever is going to make you happy. In fact, I have a seamstress who would do a splendid job designing something for you."

"Sera, you don't have to—"

"Narcissa." Seraphina laid the strip of golden tulle she'd been holding on the table and took Narcissa's hands in her own. "This ball is to celebrate your engagement. I'm going to do everything I can to ensure that it's something you'll never forget."

Narcissa nodded. She knew Seraphina was right, and though she was undeniably nervous about making the right choices when it came to planning, she was also incredibly excited by the prospect of being in charge of such a large event. The thought of the ball outshining anything her mother had ever organized sent a jolt of savage pride through her, and she sat up a bit straighter in her chair.

"Thank you," she said. "I'll start trying to think of something."

She took a sip from her tea and watched Seraphina for a moment in silence. The elder woman was working diligently to catalogue the fabrics and take notes on the pros and cons of each in respect to tablecloths and drapery. When she released Narcissa's hands, she returned one of her own to her quill and the other to her stomach.

"Could I help you decorate the baby's room?" Narcissa asked, looking to Seraphina's face with a smile.

"Of course." Seraphina smiled back at her and nodded. "I'd love to work on that with you." She glanced down at her stomach, and after a moment's silence, her face fell just slightly. "Narcissa, I... hope you're taking precautions."

Narcissa froze, her eyes widening as her mouth went dry. She attempted to speak, but words failed her entirely. She'd thought she and Lucius had been careful enough to keep his mother from suspecting how far their intimacy had progressed. Her stomach twisted, and she found herself wishing he was here instead of off meeting with Augustus. Certainly Lucius would've known something to say.

"I'm not judging you, dear—I'd have absolutely no room to," Seraphina continued. "I've just been thinking about how many things I need to relearn, as it's been so long since I've gone through this, and I don't want you to have to deal with all of it on top of everything else you're facing, particularly with another year at school ahead of you."

Narcissa nodded slowly. "I give you my word that we will take the utmost precaution."

"Thank you." Seraphina reached out and squeezed her hand once again.

"How... how did you...?"

"Hm? Oh, I went to ask your opinion on breakfast shortly after you arrived, and when you weren't in your room early that morning, I suspected. Honestly, dear, considering that you're both marked and engaged, it would be pointless of me to protest, and I see the way you and Lucius look at one another. I know there's nothing to fear when it comes to the two of you staying together, and so it truly doesn't bother me."