Chapter 17 - Nico Changes Species

“Lady Athena.”

Jenia instantly drops on her knees. It takes me some time to realize that she’s bowing down in respect to the Goddess. I quickly follow her example, but Nico doesn’t move a muscle - slowpoke. Instead he’s standing still, staring with awe and wonder at Athena. I catch a glimpse of admiration in his eyes before he snaps out of his trance and bows down.

The Goddess stares down at us for a few seconds in silence, standing tall and confident without a single doubtful thought crossing her mind. I can see where Annabeth inherited her deep wise grey eyes from. “There is no need for such formalities, my godlings. You may stand up.” she says with an authoritative tone, but I catch a quick smile tugging at her lips.

We rise slowly, each of us unconsciously trying to straighten our wrinkled clothes in order to look presentable in front of such high power. I never would have expected my first encounter with an Olympian to be when I was drenched in sweat, clothes torn in different places, and hair all over the place.

“Err…,” Jenia begins shakily. “My Lady, to what do we owe the honor of your presence?”

I gulp. The cold Canada air freezes my insides out as I breathe through my nose, though it isn’t exactly unpleasant.

“Try to think, Evgenia Vetrova,” she challenges Jenia. “But first, we simply must go inside. It is far too cold out here for my liking. Come.” Athena tugs her furry coat across her chest and walks down the wooden steps towards the purposefully old-built house which I now assume is the main lobby of the Owl’s Head ski resort.

The three of us exchange looks, shrug, and realize we have no other choice but to follow. Besides, I am pretty curious as to what is so important that one of the Olympian Goddesses took time out of her day to visit three demigods on a quest.

“So, you’re full name is Evgenia.” I say, unable to stop the amused expression forming on my face. Nico sneaks a glance at Jenia who is trying to master the world’s worst poker face.

“Shut up,” mutters Jenia as she readjusts her backpack and walks down the steps leading to the resort’s lobby. Nico and I take a deep shaky breath, a silent message passing between us saying don’t laugh, and then follow the path where Athena and Jenia disappeared to.

As we enter the doorway, a warm wind current blows in our direction, calming the goose bumps all over my body.

From the outside, the house looks like an old-fashioned cottage. From the inside, it is a wide modern ski resort/hotel. The lobby is just like any other expensive-looking, well-treated lobby – sleek caramel-colored concrete floors, exquisite sculptures occupying the four corners, plush couches, and a coal-black grand piano. The only thing missing in the picture is the expected high ceiling, though its absence is what gives this place its unique aura. But I do wonder how all the bedrooms and such could fit in here, considering I haven’t seen another building in the nearby mountains. Unless they make their guests sleep outside in the snow…

Athena walks over to the registration area and speaks to the woman standing behind the counter, clad in complete business attire. Realization suddenly crosses her face and she smiles warmly at Athena, as if they’ve known each other for a very long time. Whether Athena used some sort of manipulative magic on her, or if she really did know the woman, I can’t tell.

The lady walks side by side Athena as we follow them to the elevator. She smiles warmly at Athena, but her expression completely changes when she glances at the three of us. I don’t blame her for her look of disgust, or get offended. After all, we did look like we swam in a sewer, rolled around in mud and in the end decided to stop by at a five-star ski resort. But she doesn't complain. A dirty customer is still a customer.