Chapter 6 - Misfortune in Olympus

Jenia grabbed me by the arm and dragged me toward where Chiron and Mr.D were hurriedly heading to, all the while keeping a safe distance between us and them.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, trying to free my arm from her grasp.

"I want to know what all the fuss is about with Zeus" Jenia said in a hushed voice while peeking from behind a bush.

"This is ridiculous." I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"All clear" whispered Jenia.

She took my hand, forced me to bend my back so we stayed out of sight, and started pulling me forward, while humming to the Mission Impossible theme song.

"This is exciting!" she exclaimed.

"This is stupid" I said with a glum expression.

"Oh loosen up. And don't tell me you're not just as curious as I am" she said, giving me a punch in the arm.

"Oh please forgive me if I'm not showing enough interest and enthusiasm in finding out what goes on in Zeus' life" I said sarcastically. I was curious though, but I wasn't going to tell her that.

"Shhh ... look", she was all serious now.

We crouched down behind a bush and watched as Chiron and Mr.D finally stopped on the porch of The Big House. Straining our ears, we listened.

"Dionysus, what is going on? Where did you disappear this afternoon?" Chiron began.

"Zeus called everyone for a meeting. All us Gods and Goddesses had to attend quickly. When I saw that even Hades had come, I knew it had to be something serious." Mr.D said all this quickly and walked to the cooler to grab a bottle of soda. He poured himself a glass and drank it. He then repeated the process.

Chiron was waiting patiently for Mr.D to continue but he didn't seem like he was going to.

"Well?? What was this 'serious' thing then?"

"Oh right. I forgot. As I was saying, Zeus called us for a meeting. He seemed rather ..." Mr.D thought for a minute, "... pissed off as the kids say these days."

"And is there a particular reason why?" Chiron said, emphasizing on the 'why'.

I could tell he was beginning to get tired of Mr.D's carelessness. Heck I was beginning to get tired. How has he put up with Mr.D all these years?

"Yes indeed. His daughter - Thalia - has gone missing. Not exactly missing, more like captured. And apparently by a God. She was on a quest Zeus sent her on, when one afternoon she contacts him by an Iris message. According to Zeus she was in a cave-like place, and before she could tell him which God took her and why this was apparently part of a plot against Zeus, they got disconnected." Mr.D said, shaking his head at the tragic story he couldn't care less about.

I knew about Thalia's story and how she was turned into a pine tree. Chiron must care enough about her to hold that worried expression.

"And now, just like with his lightning bolt incident, he is going around accusing every God of kidnapping his daughter and has once again threatened war if no one confesses by the end of April." Mr.D added, pouring himself another drink.

Jenia and I exchanged looks and knew it was time to leave.

"But Dionysus, how can he be so sure a God took her and not some monster?" Chiron asked.

Mr.D shrugged and said, "According to Zeus, and I quote, 'my daughter and I share a special bond. She would never lie to me. If she says a God has taken her, then that means a God has taken her. Problem?' ".

Jenia and I now started backing away from them and hurriedly walked towards the cabins.

"What. Just. Happened?" Jenia asked as she sat down on a rock close to the lake.

"What is up with these Gods? They just want a reason to start a war, is all."

We went to bed after a little more chatter, Jenia to the Hermes cabin, and I to the Poseidon cabin. I found Percy fast asleep already so I just switched off the light and went to bed. This was my second night sleeping here.

I pushed the Thalia topic out of my mind for now and thought of how in a few days I will be playing my first game of Capture the Flag. Chiron has allowed me to play for the Hermes cabin as the Poseidon cabin already played a round right before I was claimed and the next round won't be for another month.

And tomorrow was the day we were going to talk about the plan.