Chapter 5 - Sibling Issues

Percy's P.O.V

"Here we go, this is the Poseidon cabin." I forced a smile as Rose stepped in with one strap of her bag hung over her shoulder.

"I ... umm ... now ... have to go ... have something to do ... at the stables? ... yeah ... Make yourself at home." I managed to stutter out before hurrying out the door. But, as always, I had to make a fool out of myself. I tripped on my untied shoelaces. Rose was clearly trying her best not to laugh for my sake.

I managed a smile and she gave in to her laugh.

With my shoelaces tied and double checked, I left. I felt Rose's eyes staring into my back but I kept on walking.

When the cabins were out of sight I broke into a run and made my way towards the stables.

The smell of horse dung burned my nose as soon as I stepped in and I had to pull the collar of my shirt up to keep from passing out.

They really need to clean this place. Hey, maybe I could help with the hoses. That's a great thought.

Suddenly I heard someone singing, with a terrible voice might I add and they were clearly out of tune. The weird thing though, was that the voice never reached my ear. In fact, it was coming from my mind.

Either I was imagining it or the smell of dung was too strong it made me go nuts.

Ignoring the irritating singing I searched for my favorite Pegasus, Blackjack. I found him staring off at the sky, eyes a million miles away, making weird faces.

He must have sensed me standing there because his body jerked my way and the horrible singing stopped.

Hey boss! What made you come here? Got any sugar cubes on you?  He spoke in my mind.

"You didn't happen to be singing, did you? Never mind. Wanna go flying?" I asked hopefully. I just needed to get out of here. I needed to think about everything that has happened in the past few hours.

Sure. One condition though, you gotta give me some sugar cubes.

"Deal"

And the next thing I knew we're in the sky. Far above the grounds where no one can see us but far from the reach of Zeus blasting me to ashes too.

Finally, peace and quiet. I didn't know what to think of Rose now that I knew she's my sister. Step-sister. I mean I already have Tyson so this isn't new. But she's not a Cyclops. She's a demigod.

I guess you could say I felt like my dad had betrayed my mother. I was used to having all the attention to myself, now I had to share it with Rose. But that's a good thing I suppose.

Stop being an arrogant jerk. Everyone at camp has siblings. Deal with it. Blackjack spoke in my mind. I didn't even know he was listening to my thoughts. How rude.

Put yourself in her shoes. How would you want to be treated if you just got to camp feeling like a stranger and finding out you had a sibling?

As much as I hated to admit, Blackjack was right.

I always am, Boss. 

Rose's P.O.V

One word to describe the Poseidon cabin: messy. One look around and you could tell that Percy is not an organized person.

A massive bunk bed stood in the corner and a normal sized bed, which looked like it had never been touched unlike the other two, was beside the window. Yes, I knew I had another step-brother. Percy told me about Tyson, whom I had yet to meet.

I walked over to the lone bed and started un-packing all of my belongings, which wasn't very much, and stuffed them in the small cupboard under my bed.

On my second day here I handed over all 10 cans of baked beans I had stashed in my bag. I figured the kitchen needed it more than I did. Though I didn't give them my granola bars. Or the kitchen knife I brought with me. Those were too good to give away. Especially the chocolates.

I changed into the camp's orange T-shirt that i received on my first day hereand ran out to go meet Jenia at the dining pavilion.

So I think it's pretty awesome that my dad is Poseidon. I am kind of glad too that out of all the Gods, he is my father. No offence to the other Gods. I always thought that having some kind of power over the ocean was cool.

Okay, that is a lie. I never thought such a thing until now.

I found Jenia waiting for me at her cabin's table. I just realized that I wouldn't be sitting with her anymore. I'd have to sit alone with Percy.

Just then Mr. D appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the pavilion, sweating like crazy  and looking very irritated. He looked like a mad man escaping a mental hospital to be honest.

He tried to catch his breath and said, "Chiron ... we need to talk. It's about Zeus".

And a nerve-wrecking lightning made us all lose our appetites.