Chapter 11 - Percy VS Jenia

I woke up on my bed with a smile on my face. The bright sun was streaming through the open windows, lightly toughing the water in the fountain and making beautiful tiny rainbows. I felt so happy and cheerful this morning. We did it! We really won against the almighty children of Athena. It was only a game, but it felt good to be on the winning side for once. Or any side for that matter. 

Even though I wasn’t the captain, or even a child of Hermes, I still got a few acknowledging nods standing next to Jenia, who was –

“Do you have to look this happy?”

I turned my face to see who had interrupted my precious thoughts and found Percy sitting up on his bed; his hair looking like it hadn’t been combed in a month. But then again, who am I to judge? My hair probably doesn’t look any better. Does this run in the family?

“Well excuse me if I want to celebrate the victory of my first Capture the Flag game.” I said playfully, crossing my arms over my chest.

He snorted, rolling his eyes and smiling. “I was only joking. I never got to say congrats. So, congrats. I underestimated you, sis.”

Sis? Did he just call me sis?

“Thanks.” Should I call him bro from now?

“Hey if you ever want to learn a few cool water tricks just tell me. One of the benefits of being a Poseidon kid is that you can command the water to do whatever you please. Takes time and practice, but it’s worth it. Plus I worked hard to gain a reputation, so I don’t want you ruining that.” He joked with a teeth-revealing smile.

“Sure. It would have saved us a lot of trouble if I could have just commanded water to steal the cap, instead of placing all those traps.” I said, thinking of all the things I could do with water at my command.

“Wait, what did you say?” Percy asked, his eyes going wide and round with horror.

“I said it would be fun to control water.” I said, wondering what startled him so much.

“No, after that.” He said with an urgent note to his voice.

“Stealing the cap part?” I asked, though his horrified expression confirmed I got it right. “Yeah, Jenia and I stole it. Didn’t Annabeth tell you?”

“Oh my Gods! That Jenia! How?! I didn’t think she was actually capable of doing it. Why, oh Gods why did I have to be so stupid?” he mumbled under his breath, and unknowingly sent bubbles of water from the fountain flying all over the room.

It was actually beautiful. The whole room sparkled with light reflecting the water in the air. I ducked as one was about to collide my face.

Percy kept mumbling to himself, while fiddling with his fingers. I wanted to reassure him that whatever was bothering him would turn out all right, but I was too busy staring at the bubbles around my head.

I turned my attention to one bubble and really focused on it, trying to move it with my mind.

Nope, nothing happened.

I could still hear Percy in the background but I completely blocked him out of my mind. The bubbles were really fascinating, I was sure I had a mad-man’s expression on my face. There was a need inside me, wanting so badly to move the bubble.

Almost naturally, I lifted my hand towards the bubble and did a twisting movement with my fingers. Slowly, the bubble rose with my hand. I was filled with joy and a new kind of excitement that I never felt before.

“Percy! Quick, look! I’m moving it … look!” I beamed.

“My reputation … might as well go down the drain … can’t even make a good water joke …” he rambled, not even hearing what I said.