Chapter 2 - Something Odd, Something Strange

I was walking on top of the edges of a very tall skyscraper. It looked like the Empire State Building but I couldn't be too sure. I didn't know what I was doing here and I couldn't climb down the edges. I was scared I might fall but I could feel an unexplained force keeping me balanced.

Suddenly light filled the dangerous cloudy skies and short after that the sound of thunder made my heart beat faster. I was beginning to feel scared. I assured myself that it was only a dream, what could possibly happen in a dream? It was a dream though right? Righ? I wasn't so sure about that because it all felt so real. The chilly weather made goose bumps form on my pale skin.

Out of nowhere I could hear someone yelling. Screaming at the top of their lungs. It wasn't a yell of fear. It was due to anger. Hatred. Rage. I just knew that from the yell. It was loud and clear. It also seemed to be coming from the sky which didn't make sense at all. Then wind blew me away with full force causing me to fall off the building. And I fell. I fell and I fell. It was endless. I knew I was going to die. The full force of air hitting me was suffocating me. Just when I was going to hit the ground ...

I woke with a start. I was sweating like I had just run a marathon. I got up and hit my head on something hard and solid. I looked up carefully and found myself under my bed. Oh great ...

I got out of bed and took a quick shower. I went down to eat breakfast. My parents were at work so I had the house to myself. After having a delicious bowl of cereal, I ran upstairs and continued with the packing.

I had 2 pairs of jeans and a few T-shirts stuffed in my bag along with a torch, a lighter, about 10 cans of baked beans, a small kitchen knife (just to be safe), bottled water, my phone, and a few granola bars. By the time I was done it was already 1 o' clock. I was going to leave when it got dark enough so no one would find me. Though I doubt anyone would come looking for me. Oh well ...

Then I remembered today was Monday which meant my parents wouldn't come back until midnight. They would be working late. That meant I could leave early without the possibility of being stopped.

I went downstairs into the kitchen and searched for the cookie jar. I found it stacked away in a cabinet. I looked inside it and as I was expecting there was money. Lots of money. I took half of it and kept it in the front pocket of my bag. I'm sure they wouldn't mind me taking some money. Besides I was going to need it way more than a Ferrari my mom was saving up for.

I went upstairs to my room to check one last time if I forgot anything. Nope, nothing. I looked around, I was going to miss this place. Eventually.

No Rose, I scolded myself. I can't change my mind now. I was going to go through with this.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My shoulder-length black wavy hair was still wet from the shower I took in the morning. And my emerald green eyes looked ready to see some action.

I slipped my bag over my shoulders and went downstairs. I opened the door and led myself out. I wondered if I was ever going to see my parents again.

Call me crazy, but I had a feeling last night's dream meant something. It felt like someone wanted to send me a message. And since I had no other options I headed towards the one and only: Empire State Building. It was only about 4 hours away from where I lived. I had also decided to take a taxi instead of a plane, so I won't leave any trace behind and after last night's dream, it was the best idea.

I walked to the main roads 15 minutes from my house and from there I caught a taxi.

"Where to, ma'am?" the driver said, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

''New York. Empire State Building." I answered. He gave me small nod and stepped on the gas pedal.

After 4 hours of exhausting and boring travel, I arrived at my destination. At last! I thanked the driver, paid him and stepped out of the car. The weather was sunny, but it still gave me the chills. I stretched my arms, understandable since I was sat in a car for 4 hours!