chapter 1

Chapter 1

Inspector Jack Collins sighed as he threw the file on his desk. He ran his hands through his hair and blew another deep breath. This case was driving him mad.

A woman was found murdered at her house two weeks ago. The maid was the one who found her with a slit throat on her bed. The windows were closed from the inside and strangely, there was no sign of a struggle.

He sighted again. The killer must be somebody that the Mrs. willow smith knew. Nobody heard or saw anything after the lady had gone to bed.

He was drawn out of his internal musing by a commotion outside his door. He opened the door and heard his constable saying, "Madam you can't go in there. The inspector is busy and you haven't got an appointment. Please if you have a massage, give it to me and I will be sure to give it to the inspector."

"Nonsense however busy he is I am sure Jack can't be too busy to see an old friend. Besides, I don't need an appointment to see Jack. Oh there he is Jack."

 He heard a familiar voice reply before he actually saw her. He grinned. This was what he needed exactly to get him out of his mood.

 "It's alright Constable Robinson you can let her pass. She is right I can never be too busy for an old friend. Poison lass when did you come back from the continents?" he said as he stepped forward.

 Constable Robinson let her pass with a "yes sir" and went back to his desk." Jack you haven't changed at all. How are you doing and how is Mary and the children?"

"Come in come in. Mary and the children are fine. But I am not so much." She stopped beside him at the entrance of the door and asked worriedly "oh?" "You better come inside for this," he said.

----------------

"I see," she said" so this woman was murdered in a room with closed windows and nobody saw anything.

 You have no suspects no leads, basically nothing. And to top it all off she is a wealthy widow with a lot of connections and the chief inspector is breathing down your neck for results. Did I miss anything?" 

"No you didn't" he said.

They were sitting in his office him behind his desk and she in the chair opposite it. He looked at her. She hasn't changed either.

 She still cut her raven black her short and wore the same dark clothes. She looked as she always had plain and nondescript with the ever present slightly bored look in her white blue eyes. However, her plain looks hid a brilliant sharp mind of a genius.

 "I could help you. A fresh set of eyes is clearly needed and you know I sometimes dabble in crime solving."

 "Yes that you do" he said " I suppose it can't hurt if you look at the crime scene" 

" great" she grinned " I will meet you here tomorrow at the same time to go to the crime scene. I need to go now I still have trunks to unpack. See you soon Jack" and with that she left.        

--------------------------

vote share and comment