04

Chapter 04
•••
{music for the chapter:// The Lion's Roar by First Aid Kit}
•••

As I walk back to the car, a smile tugs on my mouth, and I try to contain it. A guy talked to me. Because he wanted to. Just that has made my day.

"What are you so smily about?" My father asks as I hop into the back. A scowl forms on my face.

"Nothing," I mumble. He turns and gives me a smirk, like he knows everything about me, even all my little secrets.

Averting my gaze, I stare around the gas station, scanning for my mother who has disappeared. Fumbling around in my bag, I find my book, and unfurl the corner I marked. Whenever I start a book, I usually read it all in one go, which is what is about to happen right now. I've got more than half the book left, but I'm probably going to finish it by the time we arrive.

"Sydney, stay with our stuff. I'm going to look for your mother," my father calls before he too disappears. I sigh and lean back in the seat, closing my eyes as a cool breeze washes over me.

"Hey!" A voice startles me, and I sit up quickly, breathing heavily. Covering my face with my hands, I try to control my lungs.

"Whoa, sorry. Didn't realise you scare that easily."

I look up and see Hunter standing over me with a goofy smile on his face, but concern laced in his eyes. I attempt a smile, but drop my eyes and stare at my feet.

"You okay, Snowflake?"

I look at him weirdly, frowning at his name for me. Why would he call me Snowflake? He knows my name.

"Yeah," I say, waving my hand.

He exhales. "Good. I didn't really want to be the cause of your death or anything."

I let out a small laugh, which seems to make him smile more. I never knew someone could smile so much. I scrunch my nose and turn my body to face him.

"So," I start, unsure of what to say and why he's here.

"So." He runs a hand through his shaggy jet black hair, making me blush. I try to refrain myself from staring at him, but it's so hard not to.

"I just saw you here alone and thought you wanted some company," Hunter blurts out, giving me a sheepish look that tells me otherwise.

"Thanks, but I'm not really in the mood for company," I say, mentally slapping myself. Of course I want his company. What am I doing? He falters a bit, but springs back.

"Well, too bad. Where are your folks?"

I shrug and fiddle with my hair, something I do when I get nervous.

"Mine are in the store," he responds, pointing at two people in the distance. I smile, still playing with my hair.

"Not much of a talker, are you?" Hunter points out, and I nod.

"Don't worry, I talk enough for three people."

"Aren't your parents worried where you went?" I ask quietly, and Hunter just shrugs.

"No, they don't really pay attention."

I nod just before I see my father walking with my mother back to the car. I slump into my seat, my eyes averted to the floor, which Hunter picks up on.

"Your parents?" I nod. He lets out a sigh. "Okay, guess that means goodbye. It was lovely meeting you, Snowflake."

"Bye," I say meekly. He gives me a wink, giving me shivers, and jogs to the store. I watch him intently as he runs away, watching the way his hair bounces and the way his shoulders shift under his shirt. Why would someone like that want to talk to me?

"Who was that?" my mother asks as she and my father step in the car.

"No one," I mumble, and plug my earphones in. I see her shrug to my father, who gives her a glare and starts up the engine. As we drive away, I see Hunter watching me, so I give him a small wave. He sees and grins, waving as we round the corner onto the highway.

For the drive, I douse myself thinking about Rowan, and how in the next month I wouldn't be living there anymore. I've lived there for a year now, but it was the worst year I've had. The town just reminds me of what happened, and it brings me to the brink of tears every time I think about it. I had no friends, I didn't do well in school, but this year has changed me forever. Things can only get better, right? Hunter was the first person to have a conversation with me in the past year. Lame, right?

But I am a bit of a recluse; I don't really like big crowds. I try to stay away from large masses of people, just in case I break and something bad happens. I wish I could be like normal girls, who can hang out on the weekends with their friends and have boyfriends and just be free. I envy them, the whole lot. I envy all the girls at school, with their carefree attitude.

Frowning, I look up to see a glistening lake beside the road, shimmering in the pale sunset. Trees lines the edges, and I can see some beaches far away. It looks serene and peaceful.

"Only a few more minutes, Sydney. We'll be at Grandma's soon," my mother sighs, staring out at the lake.

"Is this the lake?" I ask.

She nods, and I train my eyes back to the water. I don't remember it being so beautiful. I grab my camera and snap some photos, just in time before is disappears behind a line of trees.

"Sandra, can you fetch me the map out of the glovebox?" my father asks my mother, and she hands him the folded paper, not meeting his eyes. I watch them as we speed down the highway, not able to understand why they're still together. I don't know why anyone would want to be stuck with a tyrant for the rest of their life.