17

Chapter 17
•••
{music for the chapter:// Girls by the 1975}
•••

I lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling, wondering what to do. Ever since I came here, Hunter's been around me all the time, and now I've driven him away.

Sighing, I sit up, ignoring the pain in my wrist as I press onto it. I look down at the cast and see a tiny message scribbled onto the plaster:

hope you feel better soon ;) I bet the wall is worse off

I sadly smile, covering the cast with my sleeve as I walk out onto the terrace. I don't even remember why I pushed Hunter away; it's just an instinct now. I push people away when they start to get close, because I'm scared of losing them. But when I push them away, I lose them. It's a never ending cycle, and it's excruciating.

It's mid morning, but I still feel tired, like I've been awake the entire night. Below, I can see my mother and father cuddling on a lawn chair, and I remember when they used to do that every morning on the balcony. They were so in love. There were no problems or issues between the two of them. I remember when they would go out for dinner randomly and leave us with a babysitter. They never do that anymore. I don't think they've had a night out since they grew apart. Seeing this makes me wish things were back to normal. To the way they used to be. I wish for that everyday.

Not wanting to do anything today, I slink back into my room and flick open my laptop. Scrolling through the web, I find myself getting extremely bored. I used to do this for hours at home. Why isn't it fun here? I close it, the top clicking shut, and flop onto my bed again.

"There's nothing to do!" I growl. I didn't realise how much I miss Hunter until I'm not around him. I lie on my bed for ages, listening to the birds and the occasional car rumbling away.

Groaning, I make my way downstairs and find no one. I frown, unable to see any member of my family. Looking outside, I see my grandma's car gone, tires marks scuffing up the earth.

"They left me?" I wonder aloud, finding my way to the kitchen. On the counter I see a note, and I snatch it up.

Grandma, your father and I have gone to the fishing village we saw driving up. May not be back tonight so we've left money for food if you want. Love, Mom.

"Great." I wander around the house aimlessly, not sure what to do. Flipping down on the couch, I watch the ceiling fan whirl around, too bored to do anything.

"Sydney?" I sit up startled. Turning towards the screen door, I glare at Hunter standing behind looking depressed.

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Please, Sydney."

I give him the finger and stalk upstairs, slamming the door to my bedroom. I feel guilty; he didn't do anything wrong. In fact, he didn't do anything at all. Sighing, I run back downstairs. He's still standing by the screen door, frowning at the ground.

"Sorry," I mumble and let him in. He looks up and gives me a small smile before entering and sitting on the couch. I sit opposite him, both of us staring awkwardly.

"So."

"So."

I fumble with my hands, uncomfortable with the silence.

"Look, I don't know what I did to upset you, but I'm sorry," Hunter starts, looking down at his feet.

"No, it's my fault. I've overreacted to something so small. Sorry for storming away." Hunter raises an eyebrow. "And for giving you the finger."

He nods solemnly.

"I just have a lot going on in my mind, and it sometimes is misinterpreted."

"Well, I want to know what's happening with you. I want to be your friend, Sydney."

I suck in a breath and meet Hunter's gaze.

"I don't have any friends," I whisper.

"I'm sure that's not true."

I stand up and move away, playing with the picture frames on the fireplace.

"I don't understand why you want to be my friend."

"I like you. You're funny, and I like hanging out with you."

I sigh and face Hunter. "But you know nothing about me. What if I was a rapist? Or a mass murderer? You have no idea."

He chuckles and stands up, coming over and standing right in front in me.

"I guess I'll just take have to take my chances then," he says in a low voice, causing my breath to hitch. Stop it Sydney. I compose myself and grimace.

"You're the first," I mumble.

He frowns. "How is it that you think you have no friends?"

"Because I don't!" I startle myself with my tone and take a deep breath. "Nobody really likes me very much."

"That's absurd."

I let out a soft chuckle. "Hard to believe, right?" He gives me a pointed look. "It's just, I've never been one to attract people. They just seem repulsed by me."

"I'm not repulsed by you," Hunter argues.

"You know, no matter how much you argue with me, it's not going to change the fact I have no friends."

He looks as if he's going to say something, but decides against it.

"You're the first person my age to talk to me all year."

"But why? Why don't they like you, Sydney?"

His curiosity enrages me, and I wish he wouldn't keep questioning me.

"It's fine, Hunter. It doesn't matter anyways." I can feel myself tensing up, ready to fight back.

"Yes it does! I know you know why they don't like you. Please, Sydney, tell me."

Hunter keeps asking about things he shouldn't be, and I can't take it anymore.

"I killed my sister, okay? That's why people don't like me. I murdered my sister."