13

Chapter 13
•••
{music for the chapter:// Slip by Elliot Moss}
•••

Last night Hunter and I did talk. But I wasn't fully there. I kept getting sidetracked and my mind was wandering. We did learn things about each other. I learnt that he's 17, plays ice hockey for the Ohio Otters, likes country music, wants a little sister, hates pizza, loves chilli dogs; the list goes on. I remember him looking sad when he said he didn't have a girlfriend, which surprised me. He didn't strike me as the loving boyfriend type.

So here I am now. Lying awake on my bed, my eyes threatening to close again. Stretching, I swing my legs off the bed, standing up. I take my brush from the table and start brushing my hair

"It's lovely out here, you know."

I yelp and whip around, brush in hand to protect me, glaring after seeing a smug Hunter on the balcony.

"Wherever I am, you always seem to be there too," I grumble under my breath.

"I try," he smirks.

"Why are you here?" I ask, running a hand over my face to wake me up.

"Well, you fell asleep pretty quickly last night so I jut decided to stay over. Sleepover, yay!" he exclaims.

"Great. Aren't your parents going to be worried when you're not in bed?"

He runs a hand through his bedhead hair, which I might say looks extremely attractive, and grimaces.

"Oops. Kinda forgot about them."

I raise my eyebrows. "I'd go there now, if I were you."

He nods curtly and, before I can take in what is happening, swings over the balcony onto the ground.

"Are you insane?" I hiss at Hunter, who merely grins. He looks as if he's about to walk away, but turns back to me.

"Can I cash in on our deal?"

I look at him, surprised. "Sure, I guess."

"Tomorrow? 7? Dress up. I'll even excuse the cast."

"Idiot," I mumble before flipping him off and walking back in.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I sit on the dock, feet in the water. My wrist is covered by Hunter's hoodie, which I've discovered is the only large long sleeved thing I own here. For summer, it's relatively cool. I'm sitting here in shorts, but my legs are starting to get goosebumps.

"Wow. Didn't think I'd see you so soon after our last encounter."

I get to my feet as quickly as I can, facing my smirking father.

"Is there any reason you're wearing a sweater, Sydney?" he drawls, walking closer to me.

"No," I snarl and try to move past him.

He clicks his tongue. "Not a smart move."

He holds my arms in place, squeezing my cast hard. I try not to scream in pain and his grip tightens.

"I don't want your mother, or anyone rather, to find out about this, okay? This is our little secret." He flicks my nose and walks back up to the house, leaving me shivering uncontrollably.

He always provokes this reaction in me. I take deep breaths in and out, trying to regain my steady heartbeat, but I just isn't working. Soon I start to feel dizzy, and have to sit back down. My head feels fuzzy, so I prop my knees up and rest it there, waiting and hoping for it to go away.

"I want it to all go away," I whisper, tears threatening to fall. "I want everything to just leave. Just leave me alone. I'm tired of it."

I take a raggedy breath and wipe away some tears.

"Snowflake? Hey, I thought I'd find you down here," I hear Hunter chirp from behind me. I quickly get rid of the rest of the tears on my face, trying to look normal.

"I was thinking you and I-" he trails off at the end when he sees my blotchy. Damn you, skin. "Snowflake, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I say, waving my hand like no big deal, but my voice sounds weird. Hunter sighs and pulls me into his chest, enveloping me in a warm hug. I stand still, not sure what to do, but slowly I wrap my arms around him, breathing in the smell of pine wood and clean laundry.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" he murmurs against my hair.

I nod, knowing deep down he could never handle what I could tell him. His hand rubbing lazy circles around my back, I break the hug, stepping back.

"Thanks," I mumble. "I needed that."
"Anytime," Hunter whispers, a faint smile playing on his lips and an emotion I can't read lingering in his eyes. I clear my throat, wanting to break the silence.

"What were you going to say before?" I ask, sitting down awkwardly on a rock. He chuckles and sits next to me, squirming around till he finds a comfortable position.

"I was just thinking maybe we could go for a boat ride today. Since you can't swim and there's not much else to do," he states, gesturing to my wrist. I pull my sleeve lower down my arm.

"What makes you think I want to do anything with you?" I smirk, earning a look of mock disappointment and hurt.

"That hurt, right here," he says pointing at his heart. I laugh and shove him slightly. His eyes crinkle at the sides when he smiles, and I can't help but notice how attractive his face actually is. His blue eyes are more of a sea blue, with bits of green flecked around. He has a faint line of freckles over his nose, barely visible even in the sunlight. Along with a strong law, he also has very full lips, extremely kissable. I blush involuntarily.

"You done checking me out?" Hunter pipes up, and my cheeks become redder.

"I wasn't-" I start.

"I know you were. It's okay. I'm an attractive piece of salami. It's a wonder you've managed to control yourself until now."

I smack him on the shoulder and start walking away from him.

"Hey, hey, didn't mean that. I'm sorry?" he stumbles over his words as he catches up with me. He looks so worried if he's offended me that it makes me think how weak and pathetic I must look through his eyes. I give a small smile and point at the shed in front.

"I thought you wanted to go for a boat ride."