Chapter 30

Vallerie's POV

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. The white dress that I wore flowed elegantly till the end. A sudden chill ran through my body when cold air touched the bare skin on my back. The collared neckline that was too close to my skin seemed to tighten with every second that I waited for the marriage to get over. Yes, I was getting married today. I always dreamed about my wedding and in all my dreams, my wedding was to be simple, beautiful and I was to be happy. But here I was, staring at the sad face that looked back at me. My to-be wedding was far from what I defined as simple. My hair was left to flow in light curls across my shoulder, the dress made of net and soft silk stuck like second skin across my body. Stacey tucked softly on my netted sleeve pulling it neatly against my left wrist, I looked down at my hand and sighed looking at the finger that will bear the weight of the ring in the next few hours. Stacey looked up and my red lipstick stained lips seemed to have a trouble smiling back.

"Vall, I hope you know what your doing", Stacey said softly. I nodded not wanting to answer anything to her. I was determined to get this over with but my heart wanted something else. Numbing the pain I felt right then, I turned around smiling searching for my mom.

The whole room looked likeit was celebrating something important and I felt completely out of place. Paula stood at one end giving me a look over. She walked forward and tucked my hair across my back and gave me a thumbs up. She looked completely satisfied and happy at the end result she had created. Stacey being my maid of honor smiled passing me the flowers. I held them tight as though my life depended on it. My cousin Jessie stood next to Stacey with her daughter Chrissy who was my flower girl. She looked eager to play her role and kept pulling her mom's skirt every now and then asking her when it was time. Apparently she had being practising this for the whole week. I smiled cheerfully at her and she threw me a flying kiss which I caught happily.

My eyes still searched for my mom and Stacey understanding my expressions, replied, "She'll come."

I nodded looking at the white and red roses that I held. My thoughts escaping towards Daniel. I blinked twice hoping for them to fade away. And I needed a distraction and this time the distraction came in the form of my mom.

She walked into the room wearing a silk pink gown that reached to her knees. Her short hair was neatly tucked behind her ears and she looked every bit beautiful. She hugged me tightly and I thanked God for the distraction.

"I need a moment alone", my mom announced to the people in my room. Slowly everyone walked out and Stacey was the last person to walk out. Her face concerned for me and I smiled back reassuring her.

"How are you doing?", My mom asked.

"Well, I am great" I replied lying to her face.

My mom came forward and kissed me on my forehead. She went and sat on a chair and patted on the chair next to hers. I pulled my dress up slightly, placing the flowers on the table, I sat next to her, happy to be finally seated.

"You're a brave girl Vallerie and I am proud of you. If your dad was here, I am pretty sure he'll be saying these same exact words."

Stopping for a moment to gather herself, My mom was a strong women and she never let me see her cry. I held her hand rubbing them softly. She chuckled and continued,"When your dad asked me to marry him, I was only 21. Quite younger than you are now. You're dad was 24 then, we were school sweet hearts you see, so you can guess we would end up marrying some day. But it was too early for me. But there was something in the way your dad asked that I said 'yes' immediately. Your dad, he had just quit his job to start off his restaurant and you could say he was completely penniless. He didn't even have the money to buy me a ring. But that day, when he knelt down to propose me, he was holding a silver anklet, with blue corals embroidered across it in the form of tiny flowers. And I thought, this man didn't have a penny to buy me a ring but even in his struggle he wanted to buy me something beautiful so he could propose to me. That moment I knew your dad would do anything to make me happy. And I said 'yes'. The best decision I made in my life, apart from you."