xxxii

iwaizumi regained slightly more energy during the next few weeks. he wasn't allowed to go back to school, but oikawa was happy enough to see him do better.

his parents, however, had a completely different idea.

"oikawa, your mother and i think it would be sensible for you to start volleyball again," his father informed him one evening over dinner.

"coach kicked me out. that's a no-go," he replied simply.

"sweetie, we spoke with your coach. he thinks that if you join now, and work hard, you can regain your spot and beat shiratorizawa by the end of next year."

"no."

"why?"

"cause i can't skip practice, which means i can barely go see iwa-chan."

"look, he'll let you go earlier, we already compromised. and you'll have weekends off if you allow him to include you in college team practice. but you need to do this. we're afraid you're getting too absorbed. especially with his decline."

"i said no!" oikawa shouted. "he needs me! i am the reason he's still doing okay!"

"oikawa, you're going to play again, and that's final," his mother insisted.

oikawa smashed his chopsticks against the table and roughly shoved his chair back before storming off to the hallway. they heard the front door open and slam shut again after a moment.

"shouldn't we go after him?" his mother asked.

"he's going to iwaizumi," his father replied gravely. "he doesn't understand that we're trying to help ease the pain."

"don't talk like that. hajime's strong."

"cancer's killed a lot of strong people."