Driving (ST)

19 Jul 2016
December - Neck Deep

My. Eyes. Burn.

My stepfather has been telling me that in August he wants me to start learning how to drive. I'm fine with the idea of learning, however, the idea of actually sitting behind the wheel gives me so much anxiety. I cannot handle the idea of controlling an object with the ability to go faster than I can make it with clear physical exertion: I'm more of a walking/skateboard kind of gal. Naturally, I'm freaking out.

The formerly mentioned problem of my eyes burning comes from the extended period of time in which I've spent reading over the drivers handbook and taking practice written tests. I used to have a permit back when I was a junior in highschool but my Dad was no help in teaching me how to operate a motor vehicle. Now, years later, I'm scared to even touch a steering wheel. Fun for me, right?

Driving is a necessary skill for someone of my age. I sort of wish it weren't but it's been engrained into society that you should know how to drive before your nineteenth birthday. Because of this, I will continue to be coaxed into learning even though I fear the possibilities of what allowing a person like myself to drive will create. It's not that I don't trust myself behind the wheel, I just don't feel comfortable. Practice and yet another driver's ed course will be what guide me onto a path of reassurance, I suppose.

Until the time comes, catch me getting in my 10,000 steps. I'll update you all on my progress as time goes on.

Q: Can any of you drive?