Chapter Three: Up To Something

The fighting continued, but we were almost finished now. The entire team was ready to get it over with at this point.

"We're locked down out here," Natasha told everyone in the earpiece.

"Then get to Banner, time for a lullaby," Tony instructed her. I felt a twinge of anxiousness, I knew how dangerous that could be for her if it didn't work. I know Bruce would never hurt her, but that doesn't mean the other guy wouldn't.

"You and I are going to the base," Steve said quickly to me before heading towards the biggest base we've encountered. It was the largest one we've seen so far, there must be something very important stored in here. 

When we got inside Baron Strucker was awaiting us. He looked very smug as Steve and I entered the base. It was like he knew something we didn't. 

"Baron Strucker. Hydra's number one thug," Steve said, standing taller. 

"Technically I'm a thug for SHIELD," Baron said to us, trying to hit a nerve.

"Well then I guess you're unemployed. Heard they were involved in a lot of bad investments," I said smartly. I really didn't want to mouth off but sometimes I really couldn't help it.

"Where's Loki's scepter?" Steve asked him, focusing on what we were really here for.

"Don't worry I know when I'm beat. You'll mention how I cooperated, I hope."

"Depends on how annoying you are," I hastily replied.

"Yeah I'll put it under illegal human experimentation," Steve said to Baron, there was zero humor in his eyes. He had zero patience for anything Hydra related, especially after what they did to Bucky and I. 

I turned and saw a young woman creeping up behind Steve.

"Watch out," I said quickly, pushing Steve out of the way. Then the girl and I both sent out a force, knocking the other back. Her eyes went wide and she quickly left the room before there was anything else Steve or I could do. Her presence leaving a strain on me, my head was pounding and I felt like I couldn't think straight. It was almost as if her powers colliding with mine drained me. 

"We have a second enhanced. Female. Do not engage," Steve said into the mic. He turned in my direction and noticed my strained expression. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I replied, even thought that wasn't the case. Not only did it leave a migraine behind, but I was extremely confused now. I turned on my earpiece and spoke to the entire team. "She has powers similar to mine, be careful. She may be stronger."

"You'll have to be faster than-" before Baron could utter another word, Steve slammed his shield into his face. It knocked him out, he was sprawled out on the floor. 

"Guys, I got Strucker," Steve told the team.

"Yeah, I got something bigger," Tony's voice said in the earpiece.

"Now isn't the time to be one up each other Tony," I told him. I didn't want this to be part of his game. There was too much going on now, especially since these enhanced joined the field.

"Trust me I'm not."

Steve and I exchanged a look before heading out of the headquarters. We both grabbed several files we thought may contain a certain soldier we have been looking for.

We met up on the aircraft with the rest of the team. I saw Nat and Bruce over in a corner whispering to each other. She seemed to be trying to convince him of something, but I could see the anxiety written all over his face. They were probably talking about the lullaby, he like me, wasn't too excited over the idea. She, however, was all for helping him in anyway she could.