Southern Raiders II

~Katara's POV~

   Zuko and I sneak towards Appa, preparing to mount him. Sokka, Aang, and Kaida appear from behind a rock.

"So you were just going to take Appa anyway?"

"Yes." I replied, turning towards Aang. I could see the worry in my older sister's eyes, but there was also understanding. Something I didn't see in the others' eyes.

"It's okay because I forgive you." Aang said, his eyes closed. He looks up and grins. "That give you any ideas?"

"Don't try to stop us." Kaida nodded, while the other two just looked at me. Be careful, Kaida silently pleaded.

"I wasn't planning to. This is a journey you need to take. You need to face this man. But when you do, please don't choose revenge. Let your anger out, and then let it go. Forgive him."

"Okay, we'll be sure to do that Guru Goody-Goody." Zuko mocks, climbing onto Appa. Kaida walks up to Appa and takes a chain off of her neck. She looks up at me and holds out her hand. It was her most prized possession: a ring our mother gave her that she wears around her neck on a chain. "Kaida-" My eyes widen as I take the necklace. "Please take good care of it for me. And let it remind you not to do anything you'll regret." She smiles her big, heartwarming smile. Tears silently rolled down my cheek as Kaida walks back towards my brother. Kaida and our mother were the closest, so she of course understood why I needed to take this opportunity.

"Thanks for understanding, Aang." I tell him and put the necklace on. "Yip Yip!" I say, leading Appa into the sky.
-
-
-
-
-
   We reach a Fire Nation communications tower and sneak around heading inside to get information on the Southern Raiders' location.

We reach a room and start looking for a map. Zuko grabs one from the shelf and opens it.

"Bam!" He points towards an island with a flag on it. "On patrol near Whale Tail Island."

"Whale Tail Island here we come."

~Kaida's POV~

   I couldn't sleep due to worrying over my sister and my best friend. I understood why she had to but I still didn't want to think of the risks she put herself into. I go outside and decide to take a walk.

I walk along a path, trying to calm my nerves. I stop against a tree and take a deep breath. Memories of that horrific night play back in my head.

"Kaida, go find your siblings." My mother's voice was calm but stern. "Bu-But mommy, I don't wanna leave you! I-I'm scared!" I cried, hugging her as tight as I could. I feel my mother's lips against my forehead as she hugs me. "I love you," she whispers, letting out a silent cry. She pulls away and begins pushing me to the door. "Go, my love. Find your siblings. Be safe."
I run out to find my siblings. The screaming and yelling of our people surround me. "Katara! Sokka!" I yell, tears running down my face. The smell of smoke hits me in the face as I continue running. "Kai!" I hear my little sister's small cry. I finally run to my sister and wrap my arms around her. "Where's Sokka? Where's Dad?"
"I-I don't know." Katara sniffles.
I take her hand as we begin looking for our brother and father. "Dad! Sokka!"

"Kaida?" I hear a voice pull me from the memory as I look up. "Oh, Toph." I sigh. I wipe a tear from my cheek as she walks over to me. "What are you doing out here alone?" She asks, her eyes gazing past me.
"I needed some fresh air, I suppose." I smile softly, standing to my feet. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's head back as we wait for Katara and Zuko." I say, guiding Toph back to camp with me.

~Zuko's POV~

I wake up and find us still flying. I look over at Katara who has been steering Appa all night.