The Letter

~Kaida's POV~

      It's been two months since Zuko became Fire Lord. Sokka, Katara, and I had returned home. Jet wanted to go back and see his friends before he came to live officially in the Southern Water Tribe. I still write to Zuko I just haven't seen their faces in quite awhile.

I walk out of my home, and see all the smiling children. "Kaida!" They greet me, and I giggle softly. "Well, hello!" I smile at them.

"Come play with us, please." One of the little girls, Maki, pouts. I grin. "Okay, okay. I'll come and play." They smile, and I lift up my hands, the snow falling suit.

     "Kaida!" They giggle. "What? I thought we were playing." I chuckle.

"Kai!" I hear two young children yell. I look up and see a young girl and boy. "Well, hello, Naomi and Akio." I smile, and they both hold up their arms. I pick them up and they laugh softly. Naomi and Akio were both a year old, twins obviously, and waterbenders.

"Kaida!" I hear my little sister's voice coming from our home. I turn around, Naomi and Akio fighting in my arms. "Yes?" I call.

"You have a letter from Zuko." She holds up the roll of parchment for me.

"I have to go, little ones, but I promise I'll play with you guys some other time, okay?" I put the twins down, turning back towards my sister. They pout and nod. "Okay..."

I run over and open the letter.

Kai,

How is everything? It's been a week since we've last spoken, and I'm sorry. Things have been hectic here at the palace. When will everyone come visit? I mean, I know you are but well, you're my girlfriend. I need my other friends too.

Speaking of needing my friends, you know how I've been searching for my mother? Well, I need your guys' help. I was wondering if we could go on a little adventure, the whole gang, and try to find her. I've already sent a letter to Aang, Toph, and Suki. I figured you would tell Sokka, and Katara, and I suppose Jet could tag along.

Love,
Zuko

"Hey, are you up for a little adventure with the gang?" I ask, looking up at Katara. "That sounds fun, but what about your visit with Zuko?"
"He's the one who wants the adventure."

Katara stares at me, clueless.

"It's about finding his mother. He's wanting to get us all together." I smile. Katara taps her chin. "Well, an adventure would be nice." I roll my eyes. "Just say yes."

Sokka runs in, "I heard something about an adventure." I laugh, and nod. I explain to him what Zuko wrote to me about. "Okay." Sokka grins. "But wait, how are we going to get there?"

"If Aang doesn't pick us up with Appa, then ship." I shrug.

"How does it feel getting the gang back together?" I ask, looking between my two siblings.

Sokka grins and Katara claps her hands. "It feels wonderful."

~Zuko's POV~

    I pace my bedroom and stare out my window. I had finally decided to officially search for my mother, but I knew I couldn't do this alone. I had sent out messages to my friends, hoping they would come. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

I take a deep breath as I hear a knock at my door. I walk to it and grab a hold of the handle. "Zuko...." I hear a familiar voice.

Even though Mai and I were still friends, I had barely talked to her since my coronation day two months ago.

I open the door and see her. The girl I used to get my mind off of Kaida. It was the worst thing I could've done to someone. Use their heart to try and forget how mine felt.

"Zuko, it's been awhile." Mai says, biting her lip. "Yeah," I let out a sigh. "I-i miss you." Mai looks down, and I rub my eyes. "Mai...." Before I know what is happening, her lips crash against mine. I push her away and stare at her. "Mai, you know I love Kaida, right?"
"Oh, come on, Zuko. You used to love me."
"No, Mai. I never loved you. I only liked you." I sigh, turning away from her. Just then, one of the servants comes to my room. "Sir, you have a letter from the Avatar." She holds out a letter to me, and I take it. "Thank you, Sora." She bows, and leaves.

     "Hey, Sora? Can you show Mai out the door?" I ask, and Sora walks towards Mai. "Yes, sir," she grabs Mai's arm. "Come along Miss Mai."

Soon they leave and I turn to the letter in my hands.

     Fire Lord Zuko,

       I have received your letter, and I would love to help you and the rest of the gang find your mother. I think this would be a great adventure for us, especially you.

    When you receive this, I am headed towards the Southern Water Tribe to pick up Sokka, Katara, and Kaida. It will be at least a couple of days before we arrive, but we'll get there as soon as possible.

         Your friend,
                     Aang