6. Awakening

Joellyn heard a commotion and left her quarters to see what the fuss was all about.  She had been trying, unsuccessfully, to write a letter to Robb.  She didn't know what he liked or what his interests were.  How was she supposed to write a letter that said anything other than "How is Bran?" or "The countryside is lovely, but I'm ready to not be on a horse anymore."?  So she welcomed the distraction and followed the noise into the great room of an inn that the royal family was staying in.

King Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, and many of the King's guards, including Sandor Clegane, were present, along with the youngest Stark girl, Arya.  Joellyn recalled what Tyrion had told her about watching out for the Stark girls, so she rushed to Cersei saying, "I heard a great commotion.  What is going on?"

Cersei glared at Arya before replying, "This child's beast attacked my Joffrey.  I want punishment, but my King demands we wait for the girl's father."

Joellyn said softly, "That would be wise, sister.  Joffrey is to be bound to Sansa and I am to be bound to Robb.  It would not do to offend Lord Stark."

Cersei glared at her as well before turning away from her and focusing her attention on Joffrey again, so Joellyn approached Arya and knelt before her saying, "Arya, are you well?  We are waiting for your father to return, but do you need anything?  Are you injured?"

Arya looked up at her with hurt in her eyes and said, "No, I just need my father."

Joellyn glanced up and saw that Ned Stark had just entered the room and was rushing to Arya's side.  She excused herself and stood further back in the room so that she could determine what had really happened.  She was probably going to have to tell Robb about this in her letter, so Joellyn wanted to be sure she understood all the details of the situation.

Ned checked on his daughter than turned to King Robert and questioned, "What is the meaning of this?  Why was my daughter not brought to me at once?"

Cersei rebuked Ned for speaking so roughly to the King, but King Robert hushed her harshly and replied, "Sorry Ned, I never meant to frighten the girl.  But we need to get this business done quickly."

Joellyn listened to Cersei and Joffrey tell their side of the story.  According to them, Arya and one of her friends had attacked Joffrey, stolen his sword, threw it in the river, then began to beat him with clubs before Arya commanded her direwolf to attack Joffrey.  She frowned as Arya insisted that was not the true version of the events.  Joellyn knew from her short time at Winterfell that Arya was not what you would call a "typical lady," but this seemed too farfetched to possibly true.  Arya was not senselessly violent and cruel, but Joellyn knew her nephew well enough to know that Joffrey was.  She was much more inclined to believe Arya's version of the events, whatever that might be, than she was to believe her sister and Joffrey.

King Robert, clearly frustrated at the situation, exclaimed, "Enough!  He tells me one thing, she tells me another!  What am I to make of this?  Where is your other daughter, Ned?"

Ned assured the King that she would be in bed sleeping by now, but Cersei called Sansa forward and the poor girl looked terrified and like she would soon be sick as she approached.  The King asked her for her version of the events.

Sansa looked around the room and said in a shaky voice, "I don't know.  Everything happened so fast, I didn't see."

At this, Arya began calling Sansa a liar and Ned had to hold her back so that she would not attack Sansa.  This only fueled Cersei's version of the events.  It was becomming clear to Joellyn that Arya was most likely telling the truth and that she was furious for her sister for not siding with her.  What Arya didn't understand was that Sansa was going to be married to Joffrey.  Sansa couldn't very well speak out and call the prince a liar and expect her future to be filled with bliss, but Sansa also didn't want to call her sister a liar.  Joellyn felt pity swell in her heart for Sansa.  The poor child's perfect vision for her future was crashing down, and her sister was angry at her.  It was a very hard position to be in.