28. The Purple Wedding

Joellyn was having breakfast with Tyrion and Jaime.  As per the usual, Cersei was not with them.  Cersei was too upset about Joffrey's wedding being so soon.  She was probably drinking until she reached the point where she no longer felt as upset about it.  Joellyn had fallen off into her own world as Jaime and Tyrion were talking.  She still did not feel well.  It had been about a week since she found out about both having a baby and having to lose the baby.  She was still right at the beginning of the process of losing the baby and Pycelle had underexaggerated immensely.  It was not just somewhat worse than her monthly bleeding.  It was much worse than she could had imagined.  Because of the pain and the heavy bleeding, she and Oberyn had decided to postpone training for a while.  That was why she was here, eating breakfast with Tyrion and Jaime.  Well, Tyrion was eating breakfast.  She and Jaime were more playing with their food than anything else.

Tyrion was commenting on how nice Jaime's new, golden hand was.  He was doing so sarcastically, as always.  The gold hand was ostentatious, but Cersei had it designed especially for Jaime.  What better fit for a Lannister than a golden hand?  Joellyn was pulled away from playing with her food when Tyrion commented, "You're not eating.  Why is no one eating.  My brother starves himself while my sister and my wife waste away."

Jaime narrowed his eyes before replying, "I'm not hungry."  Joellyn didn't want to respond, but she couldn't seem to help herself right now, "Excuse me for not being terribly hungry.  I am in quite a bit of pain presently...As is your wife.  Or have you forgotten?"

Tyrion looked offended, if only for a brief moment, but recovered and said, "My sister, how could I forget," then raised his glass and gave a mock toast, "To the proud Lannister children.  The dwarf, the cripple, the mother of madness, and the friendless."

Joellyn cast a glance at Jaime, then put her napkin and fork on the table as she stood to leave saying, "I'm already reminded that I only have you two and my husband in this world for companions on a daily basis by myself.  I don't need you to remind me as well,  brother.  I'll take my leave."

Jaime stood to follow her, but knocked over a glass of wine with his golden hand and Podrick began fussing about cleaning up the mess for Jaime.  Joellyn took this as a perfect time for her exit.  She decided to return to her chambers and wait for Oberyn to return from training so they could attend the pre-wedding lunch together.  As she reflected, she seemed to be spending a lot of time in her chambers, either alone or with Oberyn lately.  It would be good for Joffrey and Margaery to hurry on and get married.  That way she and Oberyn could leave the capital.  Before they took up residence in Casterly Rock, they planned to visit Dorne so that Joellyn could meet Oberyn's daughters and brother.  She was incredibly nervous about that prospect, but Oberyn reassured her almost constantly that they would all admire her just as he did.

Not paying attention to where she had been going, Joellyn rounded a corner and bumped into someone who was coming toward her.  She apologized and tried to pass without making any further contact with that person, but felt someone grab her hand to stop her.  Joellyn was surprised to see that it was Cersei, and Cersei did not presently look upset.  Though she did look somewhat drunk, so that helped Joellyn understand their interaction later.

Cersei's eyes seemed somewhat glazed over because of all the wine, and Joellyn could smell it on Cersei, but Cersei's eyes filled with sympathy as she said, "Sister, I have not known how to come and talk to you.  I am sorry for what you are going through."

Joellyn pulled her hand back from Cersei and thanked her and tried to pass, but Cersei stopped her again, "Joellyn.  You and I have never had anything in common other than the prospect of an arranged marriage.  I would have never wished the loss of a child on you, but it gives us something else in common.  No woman should have to go through it."  Joellyn mustered her strength enough to reply, "Thank you, Cersei.  I appreciate it," then continued her way to her room.