12. Family

Robb,

There is not a lot of news to share, but it's been several weeks and I wanted you to know that you are not forgotten.

The Queen's cousin, Alton, that you sent with terms of peace is being sent back to you.  The terms were rejected, but I'm sure you knew that would happen.  He is being returned, along with your father, to your camp.  I pray your father is finally able to find rest.  Please take this a sign of good faith and do not let harm come to Ser Jaime.

Sansa is still safe in King's Landing.  I see her almost daily.  She's a strong girl, stronger that I ever really gave her credit for.  There has still been no sign of Arya, so do not believe that the Queen has her if she tries to use Arya to negotiate for Ser Jaime.

Tyrion has also arrived in King's Landing and is serving as Hand until Lord Tywin can return to King's Landing.

Joellyn wished there was more she could share with Robb, but things had been slow around King's Landing.  The real fight was happening where Robb was.  She hurriedly sealed the letter and sent it with a raven.  Hopefully her raven was not noticed.  She had awoken early to try to send it before anyone would really be paying attention, but Littlefinger's threat always hung in the back of her mind.  It was risky to continue conveying information to Robb, but she wanted him to be safe and take comfort in Sansa's safety.

Joellyn left her chambers and found her way to Sansa's.  She and Sansa had grown quite close in their time together.  Especially now that Sansa was seeing the truth of everyone in King's Landing.  She hated it for Sansa, but it was better for her to know how things really worked than live a life that was a lie.  Better and safer.  Sansa knew that she had to play the part of the devoted future wife in order to protect herself.  In secret, Sansa shared with Joellyn about her concerns for Robb, her mother, and Arya, but she dared not tell this to anyone else.  She was glad of Sansa's company and was glad to be able to keep her company as well.  There was not much cause for happiness, but they did enjoy their time together.

She and Sansa had been talking about needlework and books, then sat in silence for a while.  The silence was broken by Sansa asking, "Joellyn, what are you going to do now that you are no longer going to marry Robb?  Do you think that you will marry someone else?"

Joellyn shrugged, trying not to let her thoughts turn to Sansa's half brother, "I do not know.  More likely than not, my father will find another match for me that will bring more soldiers to his war.  I'm just a pawn in his schemes."

"As I am in your sister's," Sansa stated sadly.

Joellyn looked sadly at Sansa, "I wish you could live the fantasy you had always dreamed of."

Sansa shook her head, "My fantasy was the foolish notion of a foolish girl.   I did not know what the world was really like.  I should have listened to my father."

Sansa began to cry, so Joellyn moved over beside her and held onto her, "I miss your father everyday, Sansa.  I am so sorry for what my family has done to you."

Sansa hugged tighter onto Joellyn and continued to cry.  It was hard to watch Sansa go through these dark moments.  She was still so young and innocent.  It was unfair that she was going through this.  This confirmed for Joellyn that she needed to continue writing to Robb.  Sansa meant the world to Joellyn, like she was her own blood sister.  She would do anything she could to keep Sansa from losing more family members.

The girls were interrupted by a knock on Sansa's door.  Joellyn asked for the person to enter and was surprised to see Lord Varys.

"Lord Varys," Joellyn questioned, "What brings you here?"