Chapter Three - Keepers in Zhong

Riley's POV

Riley sat in front of the mirror, waiting for the biggest day of her life. Today was her Nectar Ceremony and it took all her self control not to start jumping around in excitement. There was a knock on the door and she saw her servant peek in.

"Ma'am, it is time," she told her.

"Thank you," she replied and she followed her out her house.

She lived in a city in Zhong. Her father was one if the greatest Zonghese warriors and was soon to be promoted. Her mother died when she was born and so her father took care of her. Luckily, her father was a wealthy man.

Her servant escorted her to a clearing and around them were filled with people from the city. She spotted her father smiling at her proudly. She was the only one to drink the Nectar and so all eyes were trained on her.

Their Greencloak, Gordon, was talking urgently to another Greencloak she has never seen before. The female Greencloak looked at her with a thoughtful look.

"Greetings everyone," Gordon announced, "It is time for the Nectar Ceremony."

He walked towards Riley until he was standing in front of her.

"Riley," Gordon instructed, "Receive the Nectar of Ninani."

Riley calmly took a sip and her mouth filled with sweetness. She stepped back and suddenly felt a dizzy sensation go through her. Then there was a blinding light and then a fox appeared. Everyone watched in amazement as Riley slowly kneeled down and petted the fox and the dizziness disappeared.

The female Greencloak started walking towards her but then, there was a commotion. She spotted a Zhongese soldier shouting and making his way through the crowd.

"Everyone, Jano Rion and all the other cities in Zhong has fallen," the man cried, "They are coming for this city as I speak!"

Everyone started talking in fear. Just then, General Tai, who lived in this city, motioned for silence.

"Everyone, if all the cities have fallen," General Tai spoke, "Then i'm afraid we'll either have to fight or evacuate."

She heard people shout to evacuate. Some are already rushing to their homes.

"I want all our Zhongese soldiers to stay in this city until everyone has been evacuated," General Tai commanded.

Riley automatically looked for her father who was running towards her.

"It's okay Riley," he told her gently, "I promise we'll see each other again."

"I'd like to say something important," Riley turned around to see the female Greencloak.

"My name is Lenori," she went on, "Your daughter has just fulfilled a prophecy. There will be ten children who will summon a certain Spirit Animal and can free those who are captured. We need her in Greenhaven for she needs to reunite with the others."

"But I can't leave," Riley protested, "This is my home! I want to defend it."

"Believe me when I say this," Lenori told her, "You will not be only saving your home but all of Erdas. So please, join us."

"I believe you should listen to her Riley," her father smiled sadly, "Make not only me but your mother proud."

Tears started running down her cheeks and she hugged him, "I promise father. I promise i'll make you proud."

Irene's POV

Irene was running deeper into the bamboo forest with her father running right behind her. They were being chased by soldiers that have destroyed her city in Zhong. They turned a sharp corner and Irene saw a river right ahead. But instead of going to the river, she quickly climbed up a tree while her father dove into a huge bush just as the soldiers came into view.

"Where did they go?" one of them asked.

"Probably farther up the river," another one answered and they ran away.

Once they were out of sight, they got out of their hiding places and ran the opposite direction.

Irene lived in Jano Rion and had managed to escape when it was attacked along with her father. Her father was a Greencloak named Sam and today was supposed to be the day of her Nectar Ceremony.

They finally stopped to rest in front of a huge tree. Sam pulled out a jar which contains the Nectar if Ninani.

"I'm sorry that this isn't much of a proper Nectar Ceremony, Irene," Sam apologized.

Irene smiled, "It's okay father, as long as you are doing it."

Her father smiled and spoke," Irene, receive the Nectar if Ninani."

Irene took a sip and tasted a sweet liquid. She stepped back and felt dizzy. Then in a bright light, there appeared a giant panda. She stared at it in awe as it slowly walked towards her and place its paw on her chest, the dizziness has vanished.

"Irene," Sam whispered, "You summoned a panda."

"But that's impossible," Irene exclaimed, "Cause Jhi the Panda was a Great Beast."

"We need to get you to Greenhaven," her father told her urgently, "Perhaps they'll know what this is about."