Chapter Thirty - One Last Night

You might want to know why it's called one last night. You'll find that out soon.

John's POV

They were finally going to arrive in Greenhaven tomorrow. John was still on his bed, wide awake. He was looking at the necklace that Eilene's aunt gave him. He still hadn't given her the necklace and he couldn't sleep because of it.

Then John sighed and got up from his bed. Rusty looked at him curiously and stood up to follow him.

"You have to be quiet then," John whispered.

He opened the door and stepped out his room. Then he quietly walked through the hallways with Rusty following behind.

"She's going to kill me," he muttered as he neared her room.

He saw that her door was slightly opened and he peeked into her room. She wasn't there.

John sighed in relief, "At least I don't have to wake her up. Now where is she?"

He kept on walking and walked up the deck. He looked around and saw no one at all. He was about to go back when Rusty barked and pointed his snout up. He looked up and at first saw nothing until he saw a figure, sitting on the platform of the mass.

"Wow, that's really high up," John said.

Rusty looked at him as if to say, "What, you scared?"

"Of course i'm not scared," he snapped, "but i'm pretty sure a wolf can't get up there."

Rusty snorted then became a tattoo on his arm. John took a deep breath and started climbing up the ropes.

"Don't look down," he mumbled, "Do not look down."

As he climbed higher, he saw that it was Eilene. She seemed to be deep in thought and hadn't noticed him. He finally reached the platform, panting. He looked down and his eyes screwed up for it was a long way down. A very long way down.

"How are you so comfortable up here?" John asked.

"Because it's much closer to the sky," Eilene answered, "Much closer to the stars. Anyways, what are you doing up here?"

"Oh, well," John started, "I was looking for you."

Eilene raised her eyebrow, "Looking for me at this time of the night?"

"Well," John replied, "I couldn't sleep because of something. Anyways, what are you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep too," Eilene murmured.

It got silent between them for a while. John pulled out the necklace which was in his pocket.

"So, why were you looking for me?" Eilene asked.

"Because," John hesitated, "I uh, forgot to give you something."

He showed her the necklace and Eilene's eyes filled with curiosity.

"When we went to your village," he went on, "We met your aunt and...she told us that when your mother died she was mad at her for leaving her...so she took all her anger out on you."

Eilene's expression darkened.

"But wait," he said, "Your father didn't leave you on purpose. He left because of his dangerous job and...he didn't want you to worry."

"How do you know this?" Eilene asked.

"Your aunt told us," John replied, "You father gave your aunt this necklace before he left. Then she gave it to me to give it to you."

John handed her the necklace with a wooden carved bear attached to it. She slowly took it from him and just looked at it for a while.

"I couldn't sleep because it somehow bothered me that I haven't given it to you yet," John finished.

"Thanks then," Eilene murmured, "For giving it to me."

It got silent between them again. Usually, they would start arguing about something and they would talk for hours but this was a bit different. John looked up the stars and sighed.

"You're right, I feel closer to the stars," John said.

"I'm always right," Eilene smirked and John rolled his eyes.

"And what, i'm always wrong?" John asked.

"I didn't say that," Eilene replied, "but you're always the, oh great son of Lord Gaundor."

"Seriously, what's with the, oh great son of Lord Gaundor?" John asked, annoyed.

"Cause you are the, oh great son of Lord Gaundor," she said.

"Great," he repeated, "Did you just call me great?"

"No," she replied too quickly, "You're the, oh-great-son-of-Lord-Gaundor."

"That is not a word."

"It is now."

"It's not."

"Is to."

"Is not."

"Is to."

"Is not."

"Okay, I give up," Eilene exclaimed, "It is not a word but you're still not great."

"Then what am I?" John asked, suddenly very curious, "What am I to you?"

Eilene seemed to be startled by the question, "Uh...well..."

John looked at her curiously as she struggled to find the answer.

"Well, you're...John," Eilene said, "You're a...friend...to me."

Now he seemed to be the one surprised.

"Well, I haven't really had any friends back at home," she went on, "I mean, who would want to be friends with an orphan who lives with a terrible aunt? But, when I met you guys...I couldn't have gotten better friends, friends I can trust."

"Why thank you," John said, "but you haven't answered my question properly."

"What you are to me?" Eilene replied, "You're...one of the most annoying, yet funniest friend that I can trust. And I..."

John looked at her, waiting for her answer.

Eilene sighed, "I care about you. There, I said it."

"And you said you're always right," John laughed.

"I lied, okay?" Eilene groaned.

"Well, i'm glad you actually do care," John said, smiling.

Eilene slowly smiled back. He rarely sees her smile. They just stared at each other for a while and before he knew it, he was leaning in. He saw a look of surprise flash through Eilene's eyes but she didn't move away. Their faces were inches apart from each other. They leaned in closer and closer. John closed his eyes and then, he felt warm lips on his. He felt sparks fly out everywhere and he liked the feeling.

Reluctantly, they both pulled away after four of five seconds. They just looked at each other, unsure on what to say. Then Eilene gave him a shy smile and looked down. That was the first time he had ever seen her shy. John smiled back and together, they looked up at the stars.

Finally! Are they really just friends or more than friends? Please vote and leave a comment on what you think. Stay tuned for the next chapter!