Chapter Twenty Eight - Father's Love

Irene's POV

The clearing was filled with clashing swords and yelps of pain. Irene found herself fighting beside her father. Their moves moved perfectly as if one knew what the other would do. She looked around and saw the others doing fine. That is until Drina had tackled John into the ground. She tried to run towards him but another Conqueror blocked her path. Eilene who had been fighting nearby, rushed towards him to help. Drina and Eilene circled each other.

"You," Drina sneered.

"Where's the Bronze Eagle?" Eilene demanded.

"You want the Bronze Eagle?" Drina asked.

Then she saw the Bronze Eagle around her neck and before she knew what was going on, Eilene and John were pushed farther from Drina, even though no one had touched them.

"That is one strong talisman," Sam said.

"We need to get the talisman," Eric said.

Ivan and Jef ran towards Drina together but Drina pushed the air, making them fall back.

"The Amber Leopard," Ella cried, "We need the Amber Leopard."

Eric who had the Amber Leopard handed it to Irene who was closest.

"But-" Irene started.

"You're one of the Keepers," Eric explained, "It's better if you do it."

Irene nodded and wore the Amber Leopard. Immediately, she felt strength run through her. She felt stronger and faster.

"We'll distract her," Sam said and the others started running to towards Drina.

Irene ran around her and when her back was turned, she sprinted towards her, running faster than she had ever ran before. Drina turned around but Irene had knocked into her as they rolled on the ground, wrestling for the talisman. Drina kicked Irene off her and got up but was quickly tackled to the ground by Zoron. He quickly snatched the talisman and threw it at Riley who quickly grabbed it. Just then, Drina kicked Zoron off and grabbed for her sword. Irene was still getting up when Drina aimed her sword at her, meaning to throw it.

Everything seemed to move slowly. As Drina threw the sword right at her, she saw her father jump in front of her and the sword had pierced through him. His father yelped and slowly fell on his knees. Before Drina could do anything else, she was pushed away by Riley who had the Bronze Eagle. Irene heard Derek yelling retreat but she didn't care. She fell on her knees beside her father as the other's gathered around them.

"S-Sam," Irene stammered.

"Irene," Sam managed to smile weakly, "Please...promise me...one thing."

"Sam, no Sam, please," Irene pleaded, tears were threatening to run down her cheeks, "Just hold on. We can find a village, we can look for a healer. We can-"

Sam took her daughter's hand, "You know there's nothing you can do anymore."

Everyone was silent.

"Promise me," he went on, his voice growing weaker, "Promise me you will always follow your heart. Promise me you will save Erdas, my Irene."

A sob escaped from her throat.

"Just remember that I will always love you," Sam whispered, "That me and my mother, will always be in your heart..."

Then he went still, his chest stopped moving, his eyes were closed. No one moved, no one made a sound. Just then, Irene remembered something.

"The Bamboo Panda," Irene exclaimed.

"Of course," Ella said and quickly gave her the Bamboo Panda.

She quickly wore it and placed her hands over his wound. Nothing happened, nothing came.

"No no no," Irene whispered, tears were streaming down her eyes, "It's supposed to heal him."

"Irene," Eric told her gently, despite the grief and sadness in his eyes, "It's too late. The talisman can't heal those who are gone."

"No, Sam," she cried, "Father."

She sat there and wept, not knowing how much time had passed. The others watched in grief and sadness. After a while, she stopped crying.

"I promise father," Irene whispered, "I promise i'll save Erdas."

Riley's POV

Irene had finally stopped crying but her head was still bowed down in grief. She had been sitting beside her father all the time. She wondered how she would feel if she would've lost her father.

John and George's father betrayed them, Zoron and Zoey's father was safe in Amaya. Ivan and Jef's fathers both died in a hunt and she assumed that Eilene's father was dead for she never talked about him.

A Zhongese soldier walked over to her father and whispered something. Whatever it was, she could tell it wasn't good for he frowned and turned to her.

He sighed, "Riley, I believe it's time for me to go again."

"I...I understand father," Riley whispered sadly, "You have your duties and I have mine."

He gave her a sad smile, "You know, I've always wished for a son who would follow my footsteps of becoming a soldier to protect his homeland. But I couldn't have gotten a better daughter, a daughter who would not only save Zhong, but save the whole of Erdas."

She smiled and hugged him tight as he hugged her back.

"Make me proud, Riley," his father whispered.

"I promise I will," Riley replied.

Just then, there was a loud screech and she looked up to see Lazu, Zoron's Spirit Animal.

"That can't be good," Zoey muttered.

"The Conquerors are coming back," Zoron exclaimed.

"That's our time to run," Eric announced.

Irene got up and nodded.

"We'll slow them down for you," a Zhongese soldier told him, "And we promise to bury your father in a safe place. He, after all, is a true hero."

Irene smiled, "Thank you sir."

"Yes, thank you," Ella said, "We won't forget this."

"Don't thank us just yet," the Zhongese soldier replied, "Thank us when you get to the boat."

That was...a very sad chapter but at least they got the talismans, right? Please vote and leave a comment on what you guys think. Stay tuned for the next chapter!