Dark clouds circle the sky, signaling your end

-Flash back 4 days ago-

"I need you four to look at this and make sure to come back with usable info, Shikamaru, Naruto, ________ and  Kiba.

"Hai!" You all said and with that, Lady Tsunade dismissed you.

~

Naruto was rushing ahead and jumping from side to side, flailing his arms around and almost running straight into a tree 4 times.

Shikmamaru explained the mission for the 5th time which got on Kiba and Naruto's nerves.

....okay maybe yours too, but it was crucial to the mission you're about to partake in with Shikamaru leading.

The objective was to visit the areas surrounding the predicted area of the village hidden in the sound and gather as much information on Orochimaru as possible.

Grandma Tsunade didn't state " Hey if that snake dweeb shows up, kick his ass for us."

You frown. 'Thanks Tsunade. Now what.'

Shikamaru pointed out that the percentage of Orochimaru showing up were at least 67% since you were heading near enemy territory.

"Keep your guard up and if something life threating happens such as one of our team mates getting gravely injured, we have to pull back. The only good thing is that we'll have a little information on his battle tactics and/or where the hidden sound is."

"That's where Kabuto is. And Saskue."

All of you turn to Naruto. You touch his arm and he glances at you.

Both of you know who Kabuto is. He is the one who helped your team after all during the Chunin exams.

Your team consisted of Saskue, Naruto, and you with Kakashi as the cell leader.

Team 7.

You thought of both of them as your older brothers and you were their little sister.

You three were always together, even if your personality varied more on the Naruto side.

That was until, Saskue liked the taste of revenge and left the village much to the remaining Team 7's disapproval.

You and Naruto have been trying to get him back and this was one of the perfect times.

Naruto nods at you and the rest of you start to walk again.

You felt a soft kick on your calf and turn around to see Shikamaru, arms behind his head with the most bored look on his face.

You and Shikamaru's friendship grew vastly after that day at the academy. You actually pushed Shikamaru with his school work because you told him that you were smarter than him. 

That irked him saying, "I'm not losing to a girl. It's a drag to hear the others make fun of me cause I lost to a girl."

You actually pretty smart with an IQ of 195 but Shikamaru is 200 so you can guess how that went.

But Iruka was glad seeing Shikamaru finally give a shit.

Even after the academy, being on different teams didn't stop you guys from seeing each other. Usually you'd just go cloud watching with him or the park where he would push you on the swings because you simply refused to learn by yourself. 

You liked having Shikamaru around. Even though he's a huge complainer, you just enjoyed his presence.

Sakura told you over and over that you were in love. 

You denied and denied.

You, ______ ______ didn't love Shikamaru of the Nara clan.

You did love him as a friend though.

....but in the back of your head, you wondered if Sakura was right.

You shake your head and Shikamaru raises an eyebrow.

You smile at him and jog to where Kiba and Naruto are messing around.

Shikamaru sighs, "Women are so troublesome."

~

It's been at least an hour since you guys have set up camp for the night and Kiba and Naruto are already snoring away.

You poke the fire with the stick, chin resting on your knees.

Shikamaru is a good distance behind you, leaning against the trunk of a tree. 

You think that he's finally fallen asleep and kick dirt over the fire, billowing it.

You leap onto the tallest tree and look at the night sky.

Taking minerals from the ground and crushing them up, you create sand and have it swirl around you.

Not everyone knew that you had the ability to control it.

You are originally from the Sand village before moving to Konoha.

Gaara of the Sand had taught you since you were the only to ever talk to him.

That was before you were kidnapped by Hidden Mist ninja.

Your parents died trying to get you back. 

You got lost in the rain but thanks to a fellow leaf ninja, you were brought back to the village.

People thought you were odd because you seemed to have unlimited power.

You could use Lightning, Wind and Water Style though Wind was the one you used the most. 

The stars twinkled as you layed your head back.

Then you felt someone's presence creeping up at you.

You threw sand shurikin and you heard a yelp as they dodged it.

"I knew it'd be troublesome to sneak on you like this." they cursed.

You gasped.

You knew that voice.

"Crap Shikamaru, sorry."

He emerges from the tree, a few leaves in his hair and you can't help but laugh.

He rolls his eye as you crawled over to him, picking out the leaves.

You notice how soft his hair is and began touching the end of his pony tail.

He flinches away, "What are you doing?"

You laugh nervously, scratching your cheek while adverting your eyes.

"Well I mean..you hair is just so soft."

He raises an eyebrow and sighs.

The next thing you know, Shikamaru Nara's head is on your lap.

"Eh?!?"

He yawns. "Just don't bother me when I fall alseep okay?" he says with one eye open.

You smile and nod at your fingers run through his ponytail.

"The sky is pretty tonight."

You glance at where Shikamaru is looking and you nod.

It really was.

The sky seems more open now that you're out of the village.

You eventually fall asleep, your hand still in Shikamaru's hair.

The shadow loving boy still lies awake but before he can shut his eyes, dark clouds loom over them, covering the sky.

'I don't like this feeling.'

He gets up and pulls you toward him.

He looks down at your sleeping figure and sighs.

'She looks so peaceful..finally relaxed. She even looks...'

His gaze drops down to your chest and thighs.

Shikamaru slaps himself and blushes.

He wasn't sure if the feelings he had for you were false or not but right now...he was afraid it was true.

Rejection was the only thing that was holding him back

And with that, Shikamaru fell asleep with you in his arms, not knowing that there was someone watching you.