~ Chapter 4 ~

“Would you rather …” Keith started. We were walking towards my house, Keith insisted on walking me home since it was verging on darkness. “Go out with that boy you were talking to at your locker or … go out with Michael?” Michael was a kid in our English class. He had immediately started talking to Keith in History, so Keith tells me. To say he was attractive, was an exaggeration. “That boy is my brother!!!” I practically screamed. “Oh,” he said. “I thought he was your boyfriend!” I smiled. Even though he was my brother, it was a nice thought, for someone as cute as Keith to think I was worthy of a boyfriend.

“No,” I said. “I’m pretty sure when I got the DNA checks he’s my brother.” Keith raised an eyebrow, looking amused. “Yes, I have checked!” I said, winking at him. After walking in silence for a few minutes I started talking again. “My turn,” I said. “Would you rather go out with Katherine or … me?” I said. “You,” he said, without even thinking. I raised an eyebrow in question. “Katherine seems very …” he trailed off. “Confident?” I offered. “Yeah,” he said. “Well she is, but I don’t think that’s bad,” I said. Reaching my driveway, I said goodbye to Keith. Walking up to the front door, I rustled through my bag trying to find my keys. Finding them, I slotted them into the key hole and twisted to the right.

Strolling into the house, I could hear the familiar noises. The vacuum buzzing, television blaring, stove sizzling. The normal. Running up the stairs, I dropped my school bag into my room and walked into my ensuite. Stripping off my now sweaty school dress, I hopped into the shower, letting the warm water run over me. After washing my hair, shaving my legs and scrubbing my body I hopped back out. Wrapping my towel around me, I walked into my room, grabbed clean clothes and walked back into my ensuite. Pulling on my tracksuit pants and warm hoodie, I began the difficult task of brushing out my wet hair. After doing this, I removed the little makeup that hadn’t come off in the shower and moisturised my legs, arms and face.

Slowly walking down the staircase, I could smell dinner. The smell of hamburgers wafted up to my nostrils, making my mouth drool. Going to the dresser, I started my normal routine. Setting out the table, I placed napkins and cups around the table, dismissing knives and forks since we didn’t use them for hamburgers. Seizing the water from the fridge, I also placed that on the table.

At dinner was the normal evening conversations. How everyone’s days were. What we did. What we were doing tonight. It never really varied. After dinner, I slouched onto the couch and turned on the TV, ready to watch “X Factor.” My favourite person at the moment is Taylor Henderson. I think he’s going to win. After watching it for 30 minutes, Dad came in and joined me. Watching in silence we listened to everyone sing. I have always wanted to be able to sing like that, but I gave up when I was in my school choir in Grade 5. My teacher had basically told me I was shit. That was the end of that. But it didn’t stop me from wishing.