Chapter One

DECEMBER, 1956

Snow fell along the ragged edges of the roof of the McKinley's marking the arrival of winter in Idaho. The frost was starting to creep into everyone's knees and the wind was sending a shiver to the young ones. Mrs. McKinley, looking older in her early thirties, held a hot ladle with her left hand and served the warm breakfast over the wooden table in their tiny cozy house. No greater than an hour will her husband go to work as a machine setter in the nearby factory and all she can make out of herself was to be the most gentle and caring wife to him and mother to her dearest two. And, that was more than enough for Thomas; despite their simple and enduring life, he had never thought there was even a thing more precious to him than seeing the face of her wife every time he wakes up every morning and coming back home knowing the kids are safe in bed. This morning after helping himself, Mr. McKinley went to work leaving Mrs. McKinley with her only daughters, Claire and the younger Elisabeth.

This was the story of Elisabeth McKinley, a plain, beautiful, wavy golden-haired lady who grew up in her small town near their cornfields living a simple life that fate has chosen for her. I was saying that this wasn't only a story of Elisa, just like the way her parents call her, but also much of a story by Elisa. Yes, this story was retold by her and about someone she'd known — a secret she kept over her life. But this wouldn't be worth telling to you at this point for Elisa, who was then a charismatic, intelligent grown lady, was once a little, lonesome, and fragile girl who loved to run across the cornfields every hot summer day but today was winter and as we go back to the McKinleys' tidy house, we see Elisabeth still lying on her bed upstairs not enjoying much of the winter snow that had prickled the windows. Downstairs she heard:

"Mom, can I go to Mr. Smithson's barn after class? They told me Mrs. Smithson needs someone to help her sew the rags." Claire said.

"Isn't it too cold outside to walk to the Smithson's?

"Well, it is but I promised to go."

"Is it really about the sewing, Claire." Mrs. McKinley made a curious look. "I know you won't go asking me to go out there in the middle of snow unless there's something. So, tell me."

"There's nothing, Mom. Nothing."

"Okay then, there's nothing I can do—"

"Okay, Okay. Tom told me I can visit him today. It's just Tom, you know." Claire answered with blood rushing to her cheeks.

Mrs. McKinley thought for a moment and she knew herself Tom, the only son of the Smithson's, was somehow a friendly and kind kid so she quickly said, "Fine. Take your cloak then and don't stay out for long, Claire, I'm telling you! I can't afford getting you flu."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks, Mom!" Claire answered delightedly as went straight to her breakfast.

Meanwhile, Mrs. McKinley heard Elisabeth's footsteps as she stepped very carefully down the wooden stairs and has just broken from her sleep. Elisa appeared with her usual curvy golden hair and thick dark eyelashes that make Mrs. McKinley feel some sort of adoration and care. For her, Elisa's face always shows a deep aura of innocence that comes with a pair of high cheeks that she always kissed goodnight. She loved her and cared for her so much that she was proud of her decision to keep her.

"Good morning, darling. Like I always say, breakfast first!" she told Elisa noticing her bad habit of frequently eating lightly coming again. This, Mrs. McKinley knew, was because Elisa grows to be an intelligent girl; nevertheless, shy. She already has a broad idea of things at her age though she wasn't really expressive at all times. She just acted too simple for her character.