Chapter four

Chell was awoke by the sound of someone yelling “SPACE!” Space? Why would they be yelling the word space? She opened her eyes in shock as she realized who it was. “Oh, no” She grumbled trying to sit up, but only fell back again as she realized what she had just done. She had spoken. She knew she had the ability, but speaking just then had required no effort. She had figured that it would be a while before she would be able to speak so clearly with such ease. She shrugged it off, knowing that it wouldn’t do her much good, considering there was no one to talk to besides herself. She sat up again and looked around for him. Or… it? She spotted him sitting a few feet away from her. He was talking about space nonstop, but that was normal. Well, for him, at least.

She took in a deep breath and sighed. “Space core, will you please SHUT UP?!” She yelled, finally losing her patience with him. He stopped for about five seconds, but after that, he started trembling with the effort of not talking, and started his happy space ramblings again. She sighed and stood, a sharp pain from her stomach reminding her of how hungry she was. “Breakfast time” She murmured to herself.

Wheatley continuously tested. I was rather boring, really. That’s all he could do, though, because GLaDOS was watching his every move. She had even stopped Atlas and P-bodies testing to focus on Wheatley. Which meant that they had lots of free time. Which meant they got in a lot of trouble. Which meant GLaDOS was angry a lot more. Which meant Wheatley tested twice as fast, despite his aching limbs, as to not get on her bad side. GLaDOS was kind enough to let him see himself once in a while, though. She had said something along the lines of “It’s hard to believe that you could forget what your old body looked like.” Wheatley found that strange, but dismissed the questioning thought as soon as he thought it. Distractions were his enemy. If he got distracted, he would surely die within seconds.

He had looked in the mirror and gaped at what he saw. He was a tall, blue eyed, silver haired young man. He was wearing an older version of the aperture science enrichment center jumpsuit. This one consisted of gray sweat pants and a grey zip up jacket over a top. He really had no idea what the shirt underneath looked like. He hadn’t taken the time to look, as he didn’t want to waste time.

He was extremely tired. He pretty much had to drag himself to get between each chamber. He wouldn’t let GLaDOS see that, though. Letting her see that would bring her joy, that her harsh testing was getting to him. “Alright, moron. My studies indicate that humans need rest during the hours when it is dark outside. As you are now a human, and I don’t want my entertainment dying on me, I will give you the most basic of human needs. Just enough to keep you alive.” She laughed at him. He suspected that she was always laughing on the inside. “Now, get some rest. In the elevator.” He trudged over to the elevator and laid down, slowly drifting off to sleep.

It was the middle of the night. Chell had found food, and had laid down for the night with space core and her companion cube. Chells companion cube started to hum. She walked over to it, and it glowed a bright red. It burnt her hand when she touched it. It projected an image from one of its circles, and Chells mouth fell open at what she saw.

A/N: Well, there you go. Suspense! What could Chell have seen? Why is space core crazy? What is it that GLaDOS keeps hinting at? What are Atlas and P-body up to? Why am I asking you all these questions?

Disclaimer: All the characters belong to Valve, not me. I just own a copy of the game. :)