Chapter seven

A/N: So… This chapter wraps it up. Well, except for what happens afterwards. So I won’t be leaving you hanging again.

The voice was GLaDOS. The evil, malicious tone was GLaDOS. But this was not GLaDOS. It wasn’t possible… how could she have done that? But she had a way for everything, it seemed. GLaDOS had made herself human. “Were you wondering why it was so easy to beat me? I was downloading myself into this body the whole time you were beating me. So I was only half conscious. No wonder it was so easy. You wouldn’t have been able to beat me if I were completely awake. But this way is more interesting. MUCH more interesting, apparently. Now I have seen human affection and tears take place right before me. Surprising you could love such a moron, though. Well, I refuse to stand here and make idle chat with you two.”

Wheatley recognized this woman. She was GLaDOS, that he knew, but he knew her somewhere else too. He racked his brain for the answer, and suddenly found it. This woman haunted his memories. Her unnaturally white hair, flowed straight down her back. She had black streaks in her hair and wore a short white skirt and a white shirt that showed her belly button. The sleeves for the shirt weren’t connected, and it would have been a long sleeve if not for the gap in between them. Her boots were white and high cut, and looked somewhat like Chells, but not an exact match. “No… no, you’re her!” He shouted. But he was ignored. This woman was his old girlfriend. He had hurt her more than he had imagined. He had left her, and he now realized that she must have gone to Aperture seeking to find him, and when she learned what had happened, been forced to work there as a test subject so that she wouldn’t tell anyone.  Wheatley sank to his knees and his eyes welled up with tears.

Chell and GLaDOS stood locked in a stare off. They each glared equally at each other. Neither blinked, neither missed anything. Then, GLaDOS lurched toward Chell, a knife in hand, and sliced chell’s arm. Blood immediately started to flow out, and Chell shrieked in pain. Wheatley looked up and stared in horror. But his muscles would absolutely not listen to him. GLaDOS proceeded to finish her off as she fell to her knees, gasping in pain. Wheatley knew he had to do something. But this girl was her. He could not bring himself to hurt her. So he did the only thing he could do.

Chell gasped in pain, holding her arm. She looked up to see GLaDOS standing above her, and the glint of the knife in her hand told her it was inevitable. She couldn’t move. She knew Wheatley was somehow in an emotional state of mind that would not allow him to move. She knew she was doomed. She closed her eyes, waiting for it. But it did not come. She hesitantly opened her eyes and what she saw absolutely terrified her. “Wheatley… WHEATLEY!!!!!” She screamed. The tears welling from her eyes could not be stopped. She leapt up and caught him.

Wheatley knew what he had done. He only knew one thing at that moment. I refuse to lose Chell. I will not lose anyone else. GLaDOS had stabbed him in the chest. It was a miracle that the blade had missed his heart. Afterwards, in a fit of rampage that he had blocked her shot, she went for the leg that had been previously shattered. Wheatley had screamed his heart out. The only thing he knew at that moment was that he had saved Chell. That he had given her the chance to defeat GLaDOS and escape with her life. As long as she lived, he would not die in vain. He would have fulfilled his purpose.

GLaDOS knew only one emotion at this moment: regret. Her head was throbbing and it hurt as if someone had bashed it in. Chell didn’t notice her shrill screams of pain because she was too busy worrying about Wheatley, and trying to find the strength through all the anger to get up and fight her. GLaDOS knew why her head was hurting. It was Caroline and this girl. This girls body and mind was fighting her, because this was Wheatley’s old girlfriend. Caroline couldn’t stand to see her hurt an innocent person, and a friend of her daughters. She wasn’t too pleased about the cut along her daughters arm, either. GLaDOS was staring to think that placing herself in Wheatley’s old sweetheart’s body had been a good idea. She had done it specifically to torment him. She had known all along that Wheatley would come to fight her. She just thought it would be easier to defeat Chell if Wheatley stayed out of it, because she knew Wheatley remembered her, and it would be much too painful for him to hurt her.

Wheatley started to try to stand, despite the fact that his leg was pretty much useless. He picked up the knife that GLaDOS had dropped and limped over to the screaming GLaDOS. He heard Chell screaming protests behind him but ignored her. He put his hands on her shoulders and stopped her. She stopped her screaming despite the pain in her head, and looked straight at him. “I’m sorry; this was never meant to happen. I never meant to leave you. I never meant to leave you behind. I will never forget you. But now I need to take care of what’s happening now.  I’m so, so sorry. But this is for the best for both of us. Now you can rest at ease. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. But I… I love you.” GLaDOS knew that none of that was addressed to her. But she still felt a tear run down her cheek. Wheatley whispered “Goodbye” and stabbed her heart.

Chell was astonished. He had killed her. She was gone. Why had he killed her, though? Wasn’t that her job? But Wheatley had collapsed. He was weak and hadn’t eaten since awakening, and could possibly be bleeding his very life out right now. She got up and ran to him. She picked him up in her arms and ran, despite the pain in her leg. She ran to the elevator, Wheatley’s blood soaking her clothes as much as her own. She knew she only wanted him to live. Her life wouldn’t be complete without him. She wouldn’t be able to live without him. These thoughts kept her going through the wheat field without stopping, until she came upon a group of people and collapsed.

The next thing Chell and Wheatley knew they were waking up in a hospital. “You’re alive” They both whispered to each other. Tears of extreme joy flowed down both of their faces as they realized neither of them had failed, and they would be able to stay together. “Why?” Chell began. “It was for love. I love you, Chell.”

 Next is the epilogue. This one was bloody. The next one won’t be. I am so evil.

Disclaimer: All characters belong to Valve.