Chapter five

A/N: This chapters a big shocker. The same thing has been happening with Wheatley, until now…

Chell looked into the image that the cube displayed. Her mouth would’ve hit the floor if that had been possible. “Wheatley” She whispered. She was crying soft tears of extreme joy, worry, and foreboding. It was Wheatley. She was sure of that. She also knew what GLaDOS had done. That evil, maniacal A.I had brought Wheatley back from space, and not told her. But what confused her most… Wheatley wasn’t Wheatley. This was a human. But it was him. It had to be. She knew what she would have to do. GLaDOS was testing him, she was sure of that. He was asleep in an Aperture science elevator at the moment. But he looked exhausted, and the burns and blood that covered his body showed that he had been through some rigorous tests. She knew what that felt like. To be scared, in pain, and all alone. She had never wanted that to happen to anyone else. Especially someone she held close to her. She knew she had to rescue him. She immediately gathered up her companion cube and space core and started walking. “Aperture, here I come. You had better be ready, GLaDOS.”

“Wake up, moron.” GLaDOS voice woke Wheatley from his much needed sleep. He dragged himself to his feet, knowing that if he didn’t, she would resort to more violent measures to get him up. “Alright, today we are going to try something a little different. Atlas and P-body will be testing with you. But not in a test chamber. Sometimes testing has to occur outside of the testing area. This is one of those times. I thought it best that you know a little more about yourself. Just to see how well a sphere that was once a human that has been transformed back into a human reacts to getting some of his old memories back.” Wheatley shook himself. “What?” He questioned. “I was always a sphere, right? Wasn’t I built here?” GLaDOS sighed. “You will have to figure that out yourself. The sooner you start, the sooner you get your answers. Now go.” Wheatley looked uncertain for a moment. A billion questions ran through his mind all at the same time. But, as GLaDOS had said, the best way to get answers was to do the tests.

P-body and Atlas ran alongside Wheatley. They chattered to each other in their robot language. He couldn’t understand them. With his metal hull went his understanding of robotic language. He was glad that GLaDOS spoke English, because if she didn’t, she would become frustrated with him. A frustrated GLaDOS was a dangerous one. They ran down a hallway in the old part of Aperture. There were no management rails here, so he had never been here. He let Atlas and P-body lead the way, since they obviously knew what they were doing. This place looked much different than the new Aperture. The walls were rusted, and decorated with darker colors. ‘Depressing, but more color than I’m used to’ He mused as he continued to ran. The next thing he knew, he smacked right into a pole. “Ouch… Who puts a pole in the middle of the hallway?” He grumbled. Atlas and P-body gave him a strange look, chattered something in there language, and laughed together. Then they continued on. Of course, GLaDOS had laughed in an amused way as well.

Soon they were in a room with several computers. They were all on, and had the Aperture science logo on their monitors. Atlas and P-body led them over to one. Wait, what was that? His… it was! It was his old hull! The two plugged it in and downloaded something onto the computer. “Let me explain what they’re doing to your old body. Your human memories were stored into your body, but you were prevented from accessing them. As a human, you were very reluctant to become the first human transformed into a sphere. So they decided that if you retained any of your old memories, you might rebel and not do your job. But they were pressed for time, and didn’t have enough time to figure out how to delete the memories. So they simply blocked them from your access. They’re downloading them into the computer. I’m not going to show all of them to you, of course. Just the few that explain what happened before you became a sphere.”

Soon he was watching a video through his own eyes. “That concludes my presentation” He said, staring out at a group of assembled people, who were staring at him intently. They all clapped as he went to sit in his seat. A young man about the age of 25 walked up to the podium Wheatley had just been standing on. “The following people have been selected for jobs here at Aperture. Christopher, Josh, Wheatley, and Rick. Congratulations. You’re performances were outstanding. Wheatley, you have been chosen to participate in an extremely important, top secret experiment.” Wheatley looked extremely shocked. Not only had he gotten the job, but he had also been selected for a top secret experiment. He beamed with excitement. The video then fast forwarded to him in a room surrounded by scientists. He was shaking violently. He was bleeding heavily from a wound on his leg. Something hit the current Wheatley. He remembered, now. That injury had been the result of him not wanting to cooperate. He never desired to become a sphere. He had worked at Aperture science as an intern for a while, to support him and his girlfriend. Then he had turned in the required assignment, and gotten a job. The assignment was to write up a program for an intelligence dampening sphere. He had written his own coding. The scientists had liked his program best, and had decided who better to test it on than the writer himself. He had never wanted that, though. He fought back. Which resulted in one of the scientists hitting him in the leg with a crowbar. Then security had come and made matters worse. He fought back, and the bone in the same leg ended up completely shattered.

The video then flicked off when the experiment started. His screaming filled the room for a second, and then all was quiet. “That’s all the footage we have. After that, you were a sphere. I thought you’d want to know.” Wheatley couldn’t stop trembling. His girlfriend had died without him, and he had left all family behind for this company. All he wanted to do was support his girlfriend and himself… and he ended up hurting her in the worst way. He had left her all alone. All of his thoughts of guilt suddenly turned to anger. The company would surely die with GLaDOS. He just had to wait for the right time. But if he was certain of one thing, it was that GLaDOS was going to die.

 A/N: Way longer than all my other chapters. I am so mean to Wheatley. Well, now you know Wheatley’s story. All sights have been set on GLaDOS. She will die, if Wheatley and Chell have anything to do with it.

Disclaimer: All characters belong to Valve